Future Is Bright: Phase 1 Released

It looks really good! New lighting engine is hard to set up, but once you do, it looks amazing in my opinion.

3 Likes

Yeah I think it’s a bug in the texture. Not related to new lighting but we should fix this.

8 Likes

Legacy (top) vs voxel
Is this type of shadow fix in the pipeline

2 Likes

I think phase 2 (and 3) “performant shadows” include fixes to lingering shadows (some lingering for many more seconds):

-and I’m not sure that’s the same thing as my previous post (about the shadow/lighting distance cap, so that’s why I brought it up)

7 Likes

My place is a little strange - Not that the lighting is weird, but that it looks almost exactly the same.

Here is Legacy with Color Correction and Bloom effect:

Here is Voxel, but Color Correction and Bloom effects have been disabled.

The only real difference I can see is that the decals for the LOD buildings in the back are a little weird looking. Here’s another comparison:
Legacy:

Voxel:

In all honesty, Voxel doesn’t seem to look as good as Legacy in this case.
Here’s the last one:
Legacy:

Voxel:

I guess this is one of the weird cases where Voxel doesn’t look as good as legacy, but other than this I’ve had great experiences with Voxel lighting, so keep up the good work.

EDIT:

Ok so I fixed some of the weird yellowish stuff on the buildings (they were made of a yellow neon part with a decal of transparency 0.1 stuck on them) by changing the decal transparency to 0, but now the roofs of the buildings looks kinda strange because the neon glows way too much. Here’s a screenshot:

Hmmm :thinking:

22 Likes

Since recent you need to adjust your Bloom(?) settings to change the neon shine.
Have you tried that?

2 Likes

Besides tweaking the Bloom settings, I rather suggest altering the neon material colors individually, that could certainly take up some hours if not days of work though.

But, since the new way of how neon gets rendered it finally allows much more diversity in actual color & glow strength by cautiously adjusting the color HUE and Values.

The Value finally reaches from just the color being barely to optimally visible in the dark (without any glow to just a very subtle around it) up to those huge glow radius you are experiencing.
Changes in the colors Hue are now much more intense & different too, leading to interesting results if properly picked.

For the Rooftops I’d suggest setting the value to anything under 200 or 170, & Hues to a bit warmer & darker shade + lowering the Saturation carefully.

Especially noteworthy to say, due to the way the new neon and bloom colors work ,you do NOT longer have to, or actually should no longer need to, rely on lowering the individual neon intensity by tweaking the parts transparency.
One further advantage is that the usage of less transparent parts could improve overall performance a tiny little bit as far as I once heard…

1 Like

@zeuxcg
Sorry to bother you during your break, but there’s this “severe” bug with the new Voxel system which ppl just discovered, it apparently produces some weird extreme under saturated rendering for outdoorlighting, really hard to explain just see for yourself :

BTW warning ! I’m making this post primarily since those strange rendering glitches could cause Epileptic seizures !

4 Likes

I’d rather they keep this, it’s amazing.

8 Likes

well still not neccesarily very healthy, despite how amazing it is :upside_down_face:

how is that even achieved ?

1 Like

This should be kept in my opinion. Uncapped brightness values are the way of the future. :clap:

5 Likes

By putting their values very high or very how (under zero).

2 Likes

Still, I at very least ask all fellow Devs to be as responsible to actually add an Epilepsy warning into the game description & tweets.

That shouldn’t be too much asked for.

2 Likes

I’m curious if any efforts will be made to improve the fluidity of moving lights.

As you can see by this gif there is a strange trail left behind when the spotlight turns that gifs an undesirable trail effect.

In addition I am curious if any efforts will be made to make lighting that is farther away from the camera more fluid as well.

28 Likes

I have the same problem with both modes

I think it might get worked on in part 2 or 3 of FiB?

7 Likes

I hated this update at first, all the colors were washed out and dark, but after hours of constantly adjusting and playing around, I finally got it to look good, and honestly prefer this new lighting much, much more than the legacy lighting.

37 Likes

Can’t wait until shadow maps, already looks closer to cartoony Unity shaders

This image was made by Gyazo gang

35 Likes

I would like to share an “issue” I’ve encountered with shadows on reflective parts a while ago.
I don’t know if it’s been adressed before, but a PointLight inside of a MeshPart is seemingly causing the humanoid’s shadow to appear in the same colour as the PointLight.

Example

Since nothing in my game is final, I don’t mind sharing the properties:

Water part properties

Lighting properties

StarterCharacter structure

Lamp light properties

If you’re wondering why I’m parenting these extra objects to the player model, it’s because the Humanoid has it’s own shadow, which conflicts with the accessories if I don’t parent them to the player model.

10 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Off-topic and bump posts

There’s some studio setting to “fix” that, but unfortunately I can’t remember which setting/property or if it even still exists.

1 Like