Future Is Bright: Phase 1 Released

In v16, there doesn’t seem to be any specular highlights on smooth terrain water. Will we ever get specular highlights on water in the future?
Example:

12 Likes

Truly there’s a huge difference in neon and fire particles as well. It really creates an amazing effect. Love this lighting!

2 Likes

Amazing!!!

Updated it a while back for better effects :wink:

15 Likes

Really happy to hear about where this is going but will we ever get some updates to reflections? Most reflections unfortunately only reflect the skybox.

7 Likes

I really hope we do. I just checked and even Grand Theft Auto San Andreas has better reflections (can easily be seen in the Grove Street house’s floor), even on the lowest settings. Performance isn’t an issue there, I tried running it on my old PC with an Intel GMA 3000 for a GPU.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’ve done some tricks where I can reflect a users brick color to make out a pixelated version of them on like a mirror (ray casting), but its nothing compared to what we see in different games, I hope after these phases we can see reflection updates, I don’t think it’ll be performance heavy either, I’m sure if it is released we can also adjust the graphics slider to turn on high quality reflections or turn them off.

Exactly. Current raycasting techniques end up too low-quality, and besides, reflections add a whole lot of realism without a huge performance toll.

7 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Off-topic posts

1 Like

I agree. I don’t know if we would be getting real time or baked reflections though.

Someone ping the appropriate Roblox staff who can answer if we will likely see reflections or not.

1 Like

Trough my experience for some reason, no staff reply to this post… I’ve tried tagging and privately messaging a few in the Lighting/graphics department but no replies. Disappointing. Plus the last time we have gotten an update on FIB was one year ago.

4 Likes

Not a year ago, just since last year. It’s been a few months.Needless to say yes I am disappointed we have not gotten an update for the entirety of 2019. Of course, kudos to the staff who are working on it, but still disappointing nonetheless.

3 Likes

We’re part way through converting Adopt Me to FIB, but we’re having issues with uncontrollable shininess/gloss (both on parts and characters). If would be really helpful if there was a setting for each part where we could set the shininess without changing the material

Example with shiny grass:

Legacy:

Voxel:

Example with shiny hat and shiny feet:
RobloxPlayerBeta_2019-03-26_08-30-09

10 Likes

This is kind of how it would work in real life. If you want to tone down the specular highlights then consider switching the material to something else, or you may have to get rid of your cartoon aesthetic all together.

You could also turn down the Brightness of the sun down some and adjust OutdoorAmbient accordingly, but be sure not to change it too drastically or shadows will be barely noticeable.

2 Likes

The way I toned down the surface reflecting on characters was by converting all the MeshParts and parts from Smooth Plastic to Brick.

Great suggestion! I tried that and it worked. However, this is still a pretty hacking solution, so ideally Roblox would still provide an official solution

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions.

I imagine that Roblox’s intent is to extend what’s possible with their new lighting solution instead of narrowing it by forcing studios to use specific materials. The cartoony smooth plastic look is a popular aesthetic adopted by many front page games, so ideally there would be a way to keep or even augment this style using the new lighting system.

We’ve tried tinkering with individual settings but haven’t had any luck removing the glare to a manageable amount without heavily compromising on the look of the game.

7 Likes

Yup - we’re aware of this issue. We’re working on some updates that will ship post phase 2 that will give you much better control over specular reflections. Also I believe we’ll ship a stop gap solution for this next week for Compatibility mode that will make this problem less pronounced.

13 Likes

For everybody who’s commenting on the experimental FIB builds, please feel free to create separate topics for discussion - this thread is getting too long, let’s keep this strictly about phase 1. FWIW we currently are really busy wrapping up phase 2, and I’m not sure when exactly we can get a new experimental build together - we really need to ship this first :slight_smile:

24 Likes

I know this is kinda late, but… I can’t wait for this!

1 Like