Future Is Bright: Phase 1 Released

Wow, cannot wait to see the full capabilities of FIB!

2 Likes

Overall, the update is amazing.

However, after looking at Voxel a bit more over the last month or so, this has been driving me nuts. I’m not a big fan of how washed out plastic looks in Voxel, and by extension, Compatibility. Or how everything appears to be washed out. It just looks much worse than Legacy in my opinion.

Voxel:

Compatibility:

Legacy:

10 Likes

Odd. You might just need to tweak some lighting settings?

1 Like

I shouldn’t have to as these are the default lighting settings in every newly created place.

Adding in a ColorCorrection effect and turning up the contrast works, however, it makes everything extremely dark in Voxel’s case.

FIB lighting seems to fix the problem, but I’m still not planning on switching to Voxel for the foreseeable future, due to colors being washed out and pretty much losing any and all contrast.

1 Like

This doesn’t have anything to do with auto exposure does it?

1 Like

Nothing at all - this is in the production build of Studio and the Client too as far as I’m aware.

It’s an ugly issue that has plagued Roblox since Voxel was introduced, and made default.

Personally, I think more work should’ve gone into preserving the contrast before it was shipped.

I’ve seen people make some really cool things with it though, I just feel the default settings for every newly created place is pretty ugly.

I think the problem is the specmaps aren’t “bright” enough, causing Plastic and other materials to appear washed out.

3 Likes

Hey, I don’t know if I’m understanding this right but the artificial volumetric lighting thing is inserting BB guis into the camera, making the camera the parent correct?

1 Like

Full support for this system, my facility looks a lot better with FIB.

22 Likes

Go into FIB v15 (not 16!) , Enable future lighting mode then make a stack of billboard guis or (better use beams to make large squares) with 0 light emission and 1 light influence, set opacity to like 0.993 and then shine a light through them.

Essentially what this does is create a 3D grid of flat pixels that light and shadows can be cast to, thus creating a pseudo volumetric lighting effect.

5 Likes

Tysm dude. Can’t wait to try this out.

2 Likes

Also make sure that each board is about 0.2 studs apart, and use like 100

1 Like

Cool but I don’t understand how use it on my Mac when I open Roblox Studio

1 Like

Hi @TheRings0fSaturn, can you pm me that place (or something similar)? Thanks.

4 Likes

Will do! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is really nice. It truly changes the graphics of Roblox to the better. Keep up the good job.

2 Likes

Hopefully, they launch the FIB lightings soon because with that kind of lighting you can make amazing Roblox games!
(I am Spanish and this translated into English so that the translation may not be accurate)

2 Likes

I like how you can make lookalike “neon fade”

14 Likes

Yay, I can’t wait to use this new creation… this technology you created. Future is Brite, surely something I would be into starting to try out.

2 Likes

I’ve been using Future is bright lighting for a while and it still amazes me the difference it makes!

Legacy:

Voxel:

Future Is Bright:

I look forward to new updates on the feature!

16 Likes

It’s been a while since the somewhat constant updates. Is there anything new to update us on?

8 Likes