Future Is Bright: Phase 1 - Studio beta

We’re trying to release phase 1 as soon as we can, but no news just yet - we’ve hit some mobile performance issues that we’re actively working on.

Out of curiosity, what was the largest change that caused you to rework a lot of visuals?

5 Likes

It was mostly just the pointlights. I changed my game’s brightness from 1 to 1.5 because the latter looked better in FIB and all the lights were way too bright there. Had to tone them down a bit.

EDIT: Also had to change the ambient so shadows didn’t look so dark and adjust places I used to use black neon in.

4 Likes

Studio release 363 went out today. We have shipped several optimizations in this release - it’s mostly in preparation for final release to make mobile faster, but some of them help with performance on desktop.

Additionally, we’ve fixed two issues and re-fixed one issue we’ve fixed before but had to disable the fix for:

• In dark areas of the maps under some lighting conditions you see a bit of noise.
  • Underwater fog color was incorrect in Voxel mode
  • AlwaysOnTop UI with LightInfluence != 0 was too dark; this fix was briefly disabled for the last few days but was re-enabled again.

We still have two outstanding issues that we’re planning to fix in the update after Thanksgiving:

• On levels with WaterTransparency=1 and Lighting.Brightness=10 water is very bright.
  • We have discovered some small issues with the neon & sun rays implementation. The neon fixes should affect the glow shape but not the color.

As far as we know, we have no outstanding bugs other than that. We are still waiting on mobile clients to catch up to the version with all bug fixes and performance improvements to be able to release this globally. No ETA so far, but looks like it’s unlikely to happen before the end of the month…

Aside from the water fix that will change the behavior of levels with water and high brightness, the picture you’re getting today in Studio is final for Technology=Voxel (phase 1). We don’t anticipate any changes to the current behavior, short of bug fixes and eventual improvements to light occlusion precision.

21 Likes

@zeuxcg

When Future is Bright is released, will there be an option in Game Settings to convert all places within said Game to Voxel, Shadowmap, or Legacy? I think it would be tedious to go into each place and individually change the setting. My apologies if you’ve mentioned this somewhere, and I haven’t seen it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

For your scenes to look better, I think you’ll have to do some adjusting in all of the places anyway.

2 Likes

I believe he means Lighting.Technology, not the things like Ambiance or Brightness.

1 Like

I believe he knows that. His point is that switching from one lighting engine to another may require adjustments here and there anyways.

4 Likes

What Lightlimn was saying is that you would want to turn on the new technology only when you’re finally getting around to adjusting that place. With your place adjusted and the new technology on, there’s no need for a tool to turn it on in all places of a game.

4 Likes

Exactly. Most places currently won’t look as good as they do now, if they turn the lighting on and don’t change anything. Stuff like ExposureCompensation, ambient lighting etc. will need tweaking if you want to make your levels look their best. New lighting can’t be one-size-fits-all, so every place with it will need some changes.

2 Likes

If it were something they could just convert, then they would tune the equations to match it with the existing values.

1 Like

We don’t have plans for a per-game flag - the setting is currently per-place and it seems to make sense to keep it per-place since switching the mode might require a bit of tweaking, and you might need to do it one place at a time.

4 Likes

We tried to make sure that we don’t make quality compromises in the new mode - a lot of the color math is very different in the new mode but it looks nicer and is more physically accurate. So we explicitly opted for results that we liked more and that are more accurate instead of focusing on compatibility.

We are likely going to introduce Technology.Compatibility and transition from Legacy to that, but that has somewhat different goals from helping devs migrate - it seems like in general migrating to Voxel lighting is pretty straightforward in 90% of cases. More news on that after we actually ship phase 1…

13 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Off-topic and bump posts

Sorry for the bump, but I recently noticed that the neons don’t look as good during the day when it’s bright:
2019-01-14_14-19-49
The colors become washed out pretty easily. I’m trying to keep the glow as saturated as possible & the core as white as possible, but I can achieve that only through saturation. So when I lower it for the core to be white during the day, the glow loses it’s color, and red glow becomes light red glow, blue glow become light blue glow etc.:

Is there anything that could be done to improve this behavior?

17 Likes

I saw the latest version with all 3 WIP Phases, do you guys have plans for the corners dant dont do well with shadows?

5 Likes

Seems like that’s legalcy lighting, check it it’s set to future under lighting.properties.technology. It should have improved a decent bit.

4 Likes

It’s still an issue on Voxel, just not as severe.

8 Likes

Possibly new lighting system doesn’t like when I change terrain colors?

2 Likes

How about we start maybe shipping some anti-aliasing features? That would definitely start bringing in the devs.

8 Likes

Yeah, there’s so much to utilize as well that would benefit FIB’S Voxel lighting, HBAO , SSAO, MFAA/FXAA/TXAA etc. in terms of how these sort of graphical options can make games look better look at games like skyrim special edition and fallout 4 / 76, Witcher 3 for reference

Although I think this should be on a 64bit version of the roblox client only, there comes a point where you can only throw so much on a 32bit exe before games make roblox hit the 4gb cap due to all these crazy cool features I love being added. 64bit roblox engine/client would be a dream come true, endless possibilities. Future is bright after all :slight_smile:

2 Likes