Future Is Bright: Phase 2 - Studio beta

See:

And zeuxcg’s response:

2 Likes

Loving what F.I.B. is doing, keep up the good work :+1:

32 Likes

Might sound like a dumb question, but will there be ray tracing enabled settings for graphics cards designed for ray tracing?

4 Likes

Probably not. Your frame rate would absolutely tank with ray-tracing. I don’t even think the Roblox engine supports ray-tracing… at least I don’t think so. Maybe in the future we’ll get ray-tracing for those of you with top-of-the-line RTX 2080Ti’s.

Although real-time ray-tracing is probably out of the question as of right now, can we at least have baked global illumination and other stuff like that? It’d probably wouldn’t be useful for games with a dynamic time of day but I think it’d really help games with a fixed time of day to look even better, liked showcases and whatnot.

3 Likes

I mean, if implemented correctly, it could work, and not have a significant impact on frame rate;
Such as Battlefield V, sure with ray tracing on the maximum FPS is 60 - 25% lower than with it off, but on roblox the frame rate is capped at 60 fps anyway, so we don’t know the true potential of some graphics cards yet; for example if a card is only running at 40% lets say, at 60 fps, the potential could be just under 100 fps (if I have done my math correctly), but since its capped anyway, maybe you wouldn’t notice a massive performance hit anyway? Might be at 55 fps but if a game looks better its good right?

I think it needs Microsoft Direct X anyway to utilise it properly? Not sure… but would be a nice feature anyway…

4 Likes

There seems to be an issue when other parts’ shadow is in the way of another. It gives this strange shadowless border effect.

The effect looks awfully strange :nauseated_face:

13 Likes

Yeah, I’ve been having this issue too in a group game I’m helping out with:

Here’s another trouble spot:

6 Likes

I :heart: THIS UPDATE SO MUCH!
Honestly looks amazing, can’t wait to see the full release of FiB.

5 Likes

Just out of curiosity… Will the new ‘Shadow Map’ Lighting be temporary? I want to use it in my game, so I hope it does not ‘die’ like legacy did.( I can’t even decide which lighting technology to use! They all look GREAT! :smiley: )

2 Likes

Looks really good, can’t wait to see this in game.

Really liking this update, can’t wait for the final release. I just wish that the shadows rendered at a larger distance on higher graphics settings, but I do understand this is due to optimization.

8 Likes

zeuxcg has stated that they’re going to come back to it in the future:

You’ll just have to wait for the next update I guess.

6 Likes

Epic. I’d love to experiment with the new lighting.

1 Like

I love this, now it almost feels like we’re rendering in Blender while in Studio!

Bottoms up, @InfiniteEffect! Phase 2 of Future Is Bright will look even better on Neon District!

2 Likes

unknown%20(2)
unknown
unknown%20(3)
and an old school retro attempt!
Purely incredible. Thank you so much Roblox!

24 Likes

As stated in the original post, we don’t plan to remove Voxel, ShadowMap or Compatibility any time soon. Voxel will stay as is, with the possible exception of humanoid shadows changing the behavior at some point. The benefit of Voxel is that you have consistent visuals everywhere on all quality levels, and the same soft shadow look.

9 Likes

Super excited for this!
Future is Bright Phase 1 changed up lighting big time, and now there’s more!

Pretty exited for this, it definitely would make some games look better.

Voxel:

Shadowmap:

2 Likes

I’m assuming phase 3 would be PointLights and SurfaceLights being able to cast shadows?

3 Likes

Not so sure about SurfaceLights getting shadows, but yes, light objects will be getting the FiB treatment as well in Phase 3.

1 Like