Future Is Bright: Phase 2 - Studio beta

Could you provide the link to this game/project?

1 Like

This is incredible, can’t wait for future additions, hopefully stuff like realistic lighting from lighting objects not just the sun (hopefully light rays as well). Plus reflections, with shadows and lights to really create a unique environment.

This is intentional for now. While the mathematical model we’re using for shadows theoretically allows for translucency, it’s… tricky… and was outside the scope of research we were willing to do for this. Future extension maybe.

9 Likes

Phase 2 has the same shading as phase 1 (voxel) modulo more precise sun shadows. Not sure what specific features you’re asking about; as previously said, we’re going to have an improved shading/specular model in phase 2.5 later this year.

5 Likes

Oops. This is a bug - the intention is for Voxel & ShadowMap to look the same wrt color balance/effects/etc. We’ll fix this.

6 Likes

A few small problems I have noticed so far:

Grid Material Mode

The grid material appears to desaturate part colors when using the ShadowMap mode.

ShadowMap

Voxel

Lighting.GlobalShadows

Disabling shadow mapping does not clear the shadow mapping, so it becomes static and sometimes starts flickering.

If GlobalShadows were already off when you switch to the ShadowMap mode, some areas are completely darkened out.

It seems to be along the X-axis, though I’m not 100% sure what’s going on here. Theres some skewing around the world origin.

19 Likes

Oops. Yet another consequence of not double checking all places where we special cased Voxel :slight_smile: This will be fixed.

10 Likes

Yeah #1 is the same as other bugs reported here where we forgot that ShadowMap is like Voxel but better, and #2 is a known bug we’ll look into.

3 Likes

Yeah sure, but the place is still work in progress.

8 Likes

I noticed that particles & beams don’t cast shadows, is this planned for the future? It’d be amazing to have clouds as a beam to cast a shadow on the earth. :slight_smile:

Other than that, super amazing!! :smiley: Really excited to see what’s next.

8 Likes

The new shadowmapping bit seems to hate transparent parts. That issue might’ve already been pointed out though:

14 Likes

Yes, it was mentioned before. Hopefully we get a fix with phase 2.5 or 3.

2 Likes

I found a little bug, some explanation is in the video description:

13 Likes

Yay I can’t wait to use this on my ski resort when it releases!

2 Likes

Excited to try it out! This was a really desired update for me!

2 Likes

Stellar work on the lighting guys, this will look fantastic for our dinosaur game.

16 Likes

This is great! Can’t wait to see it in-game.

1 Like

Lighting looks lovely. Though, I did encounter an artifact when turning off the “Global Shadows” option.

I’m sure it makes sense that it would glitch out without that option being on.
As for my case, because of the size of my maps, I turn this off because the limited draw distance+the time for lighting to load in is quite variable.
HOWEVER, I noticed that the Shadow Maps work on a different loading whereas the shadows load in consistently at a set distance! Which is awesome and something I can work with.

So my question is, is it possible to just have the Shadow Maps (Consistent draw distance) without the Global Shadows (Takes a variable amount of time to load/doesn’t load fast enough)?

7 Likes

Wow. This is awesome, amazing work. Can’t wait for more :heart:

1 Like

I too would love beams to cast shadows

2 Likes