Future Is Bright: Phase 2 - Studio beta

:eyes: ooooooooo

don’t ask me how I did this, this game has shadow map enabled and when I get close the shadow looks like that, when I get further it becomes really fuzzy

3 Likes

Live in desktop clients on PC & Mac. Official announcement tomorrow. Console will follow next week I think (unexpected unrelated delays with rolling out new Xbox update).

Since most games haven’t migrated yet, we may discover some issues once more games do - if the issues are severe enough (e.g. crashing on some rare configurations that we couldn’t test etc.) we may be forced to disable it. We don’t anticipate any issues, just a note - it’s a big rollout :slight_smile:

42 Likes

WooHoo! Phase 2 out! Are you guys creating a new thread to release its announcement? People may not see this, so some may not know.

3 Likes

Yay! I can’t wait to see what people’s games look like with it enabled!

1 Like

Really looking forward to seeing games with this!

1 Like

Woo! Time to make my CPU sweat and enjoy live render-level goodness! Huge thank you to your team, we appreciate it guys!

Quick note: If we find a bug, where should we report it? Would the proper place be #platform-feedback:engine-bugs? Thanks!

1 Like

Ignore my character, wish we could fix this choppiness in the shadows with day/night cycles

shadows dont update if they’re close to previous shadow angle, and they generally seem to update at a pretty choppy interval

9 Likes

Thank you for working on this new lighting! This is one of the best Roblox updates of all time!

4 Likes

This looks very impressive! I can’t wait to see what everyone is going to do with this improvement!

1 Like

Also can confirm all remaining issues with SunRays have been resolved. :smiley:
(Also, now that ShadowMap is fully released, can we expect a FiB v17 build soon?)

Voxel:

ShadowMap:

8 Likes

How. Come it makes my game very pitch black it’s nice. But makes game really pitch black

1 Like

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but adornments with AlwaysOnTop set to true appear much darker with Voxel/ShadowMap lighting compared to Legacy. Is this intentional?

4 Likes

Wow! Now I am really excited!
This would definetively make games look more realistic and could possibly open the possibility of roblox developing being more accepted.

1 Like

I suspect it’s a bug that we’ve missed… we’ll check it out.

4 Likes

Me and members of my teams are excited to implement this new system into our games. Big thank you to everyone who’s gotten FiB this far. It’s an absolutely amazing addition.
Keep up the good work guys.

4 Likes

Shadow Map is very slow on my PC and I have to put Graphics Quality lower than 3. :confused:
I wish SwadowMap would become independent of Graphics Quality.

1 Like

This indicates that we have some sort of performance issue that we need to fix. Can you please share your hardware specs, the game that you’ve been playing, and microprofile dumps for quality 2 & 3?

1 Like

Hello!
The hardware of my laptop is something old, here are the specifications:

• 4 GB ram
  • Windows 10
  • Intel Pentium 2.20GHz 2.20 GHz
  • 64 bits

What they could do is make instead of having to go down to 1 Graphics Quality to turn off the realistic shadows, it would have to be that there is a button that says to turn realistic shadows off and on.
(I do not mean Lighting technology from Roblox studio)

1 Like

I don’t think they’re going to do this because the argument is, most players wouldn’t use this feature. So we’re pretty much stuck with an inferior way of handling graphics options.

Instead of getting the highest drawing distance my computer can handle for instance, I’m also stuck with anti aliasing & ambient occlusion which slices my framerate by 40%, thus, I’m stuck at quality level 8 rather than 9 or 10 which have the highest drawing distances, but also have Anti Aliasing, which isn’t needed at my screen resolution, and ambient occlusion, which doesn’t look that good in my opinion.

With Roblox adding more graphic-intensive features, they need to stop using this argument. It’s only going to make a majority of the player base use less than desirable quality levels just to get their framerate up to 60.

12 Likes

I liked the way you responded, I respect your opinion like everyone else’s. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like