Future Is Bright: Phase 2.5 Released

Oh yeah! We’re ready to see official Phase 3 soon, as this feature will be VERY useful for filmmaking!

2 Likes

This feature is cool with the reflections and all but it just doesn’t work with my game, the skybox lighting feature turns everything blue… its a cool feature tho,

2 Likes

One of the things I have to say I’m not too excited about for Materials is their lack of ease of use. Currently, materials use an object - oriented way of application, similar to decals and textures.

I think it would be much more streamlined and just better to use a Materials “Service” which allows devs to create new Material Enums to use directly just like materials used to be used. The instantiation from the “Materials Service” would include a SurfaceType object to base the material on, then the engine automatially applies that SurfaceType to the model.

In other words, current functionality of SurfaceTypes being applied to parts would not change. The addition would be a line of code like this:

game:GetService("MaterialsService"):Create([SurfaceType] Object, [String](Name) "CustomMat")

which then allows you in another script or the Materials selector to run this code:

game.Workspace.Part.Material = Enum.Material.CustomMat

That would make material management and current frameworks much more adaptable to this outstanding update.

Feature request or nah? It’s doesn’t rly exist on the platform yet lol…

13 Likes

Now that my sir is REALITY!!!

2 Likes

Ive been waiting for this for so long! Finally we can make super realistic stuff.

2 Likes

I had chance to play with this, although I am confused as to what it’s supposed to be doing, I tried it on a place and it wasn’t doing much.
Switched to a blank place and tried using ball with metal, and reflection up a bit I then could see some difference.

Is this supposed to go along with PBR materials, I’d like to know more about this, because right now I don’t know what works best with it and or how to use it.

Absolutely amazing! Does this mean that PBR materials will be released soon? Because this seems to be getting better and better!

I love this update so much! :happy4:

8 Likes

thats cool but it/the update broke my studio :pain:

even broke the gui, and any text appearing in the game, plus it broke text on toolbox and plugins

6 Likes

This is great!! Took a quick picture in an unreleased project, far from release though so it probably doesn’t look the best.

Picture

6 Likes

Wow, it’s as if Roblox wants EVERYONE to be capable of having great graphics in the game, without any experience!

4 Likes

This is amazing! Favorite update of 2020 so far

https://gyazo.com/e9b918623c15d4180720b8a6fe947fba

25 Likes

Its looking so good, cant wait for custom materials!

6 Likes

This really is a good update! I’m looking forward to seeing how realistic this approach gets.

3 Likes

That looks so epic! I’m so hyped for this! :smiley:

4 Likes

Hi @Elttob, thanks! I’m not sure what you mean about the greasy terrain materials, but there were some early issues with terrain and PBR we fixed. Feel free to create a bug report or PM me an image.

6 Likes

Thanks! Yes, it was silently released last year but there were some bug fixes we wanted to get out before fully releasing.

5 Likes

WTF

I mean I saw this leak in the lighting script properties while scripting. Will make our showcases and games look even better!
btw I only just saw this topic today, I didn’t get notified about thus one

3 Likes

https://gyazo.com/36aed8eed847ad655a36d493367f42ec

I really like how this interacts with textures. Note the faint luminosity on the hexagon pattern as I angle the camera.

22 Likes

beautiful

20 Likes