Future is Bright Phase 3 Released

I tried using it on Driect3D 11 but It’s not working any help?

1 Like

this looks great, yet concerning for converting builds from shadowmap and legacy dynamic lights to this new technology.

1 Like

Not only It looks beautiful, but you can also create some amazing patterns and visual effects using the shadows.

29 Likes

Wow.

Voxel

Future is Bright Phase 3

4 Likes

I like how the shadow looks through the water surface.

9 Likes

Hey,

Me and my team have noticed a memory leak that occurs when using Future lighting. In our game, there is a setting called “Enable Local Light Shadows” that goes through all objects tagged as a light and toggles the Shadows property of that light. The setting is enabled by default.

With this setting on (Meaning every light in the game has the Shadows property set to true), memory in the render/system section increases unchecked and, through our testing, does not stop going up. If the setting is turned off, render/system memory will immediately return to a normal value (22 in our case. This could be in the hundreds if let run long enough with enable local light shadows turned on) and will not go up.

This tells us that our memory leak has something to do with the Shadows property of lights, whereas we originally just thought it was due to Future lighting as a whole. I’m wondering whether this is something out of our control, or perhaps we did something wrong with the Enable Local Light Shadows setting.

Here’s the bug report we made on this in case you need more information: Future Lighting Technology Causes Memory Leak

Edit: I’ve found more evidence that points towards the Shadows property causing a memory leak. I made a blank place on Studio and placed a bunch of SpotLights around, all with the Shadows property set to true. I recorded the render/system memory over the course of a minute. I did the same test but with Shadows on every light set to false. I also included a control with no lights. This was done using future lighting.

Results

Control:
Start: 20.6 Mb
End: 20.6 Mb

Shadows TRUE
Start: 21.3 Mb
End: 24.5 Mb

Shadows FALSE
Start: 20.9 Mb
End: 20.9 Mb

The results speak for themselves, but I don’t know anything about any of this. I’m leaving the interpretation up to the Roblox engineers. These are just my observations.

Thanks

8 Likes

This has been a very anticipated update for me. Super excited to see what developers do with this. Amazing work from everyone at the rendering team.

You’re not the only one who has that limitation
my PC supports directX11 but refuses to work due to limitation of the graphics card (it’s 2008 Nvidia GeForce)
PC runs well on the graphics card but a laptop that has future technology struggles to stand at even 20 fps!

Check if your graphics card are able to support DirectX11 or any compatible renderings that supports, if it doesn’t then buy new graphics card
if it does have, then roblox doesnt support that type of rendering on graphics card unfortunately.

1 Like

I wish Surface lights properly worked emitting from the Left/Right side of a Wedge part. It emits as a square block instead of a triangle.

5 Likes

This looks incredible. All images are unedited in-game screenshots.

Images

8 Likes

BUG REPORT
Hi. We are currently trying to optimize my game for this lighting update. We’re running into lot’s of problems thought. One we can’t figure out is the lighting in this building flashes like a strobe light from certain angles. There’s a lot of spot lights in the building, but I wouldn’t think it’s too many.

We’ve also run into several headaches with this new lights. It’s so different from the old one everything lighting-related has to be redone for it to look nice.

gif:
https://gyazo.com/c20892ef1d9123a761d1b6d8e46ed9c4

3 Likes

friendly reminder - if you want something to be investigated and fixed, please post more than just a picture. a place file (via DM) plus repro steps and full description of the problem would be ideal otherwise its super non trivial to investigate. thank you!

11 Likes

Will Future lighting support beam’s light influence? Future lighting does cast lights on things such as surface GUIs with light influence however they do not cast light on beams with light influence.

As seen in this photo: https://i.gyazo.com/ac14aec598f950c7b415457ba3ce9b2c.jpg

The sun is correctly displaying/producing light onto the beams but the point light isn’t because future doesn’t produce light on beams regardless of light influence. Will this feature be fixed and/or added?

To reproduce this effect simply cast multiple beams in front of the camera with a light influence of 1 and a very high transparency (around 0.9) but make then “welded” to the camera so they don’t rotate around.

I do not know which Roblox staff/account to DM the place file

1 Like

If there is the possibility for a phase 4 it would be global illumination (GI)

3 Likes

Very nice update! :slight_smile:

25FPS still looks perfectly playable. To put 25 FPS into perspective. Movies are played at 24 FPS in the theaters and TV runs at 25 FPS too on the PAL system.

It’s playable but it’s annoying, distracting, and noticeable, because when you press a button to fire a gun you expect the gun fire immediately after you press the button and not fire after a second.

Movies do not require nor accept real time input from the player, and that’s why they seem to be smooth and perfectly fine for us. Movies also have blur due to exposure that makes motion on them look fluid and smooth at 24FPS.

That’s why movies can run on lower FPS and look smooth while games can’t. You can read more on Google on why is that.

6 Likes

So now people are already waiting for phase 4, yet phase 3 just released. I’m confused.

3 Likes

No need to be cause there isn’t any some people think there is. If you go and look when fib was only accessible through a seprate studio ill be exactly the same on what we have just without auto exporse which is getting shipped spereatly.