Future is Bright Phase 3 Released

I really like this update, it makes lighting so much better, but…

It is really buggy. The biggest issue I have is the shadows are extremely sharp, with no option to soften them. It results in weird visual glitches like this:

I’m really hoping this will be fixed soon because these shadows look awful. Changing the ShadowSoftness property of Lighting doesn’t even affect the shadows. It wasn’t like this during the beta, the shadows looked much better and more realistic.

I’ll try to provide more information if requested, but this is all I got for now.

2 Likes

I am absolutely in love with the new lighting!
It just looks so much better, and seeing the difference between the old Compatibility lighting to the new Future Is Bright 3 lighting really shows how far Roblox has come over the last 2- 3 years

Here is some comparison between the two lighting modes:

Compatibility Lighting:

The new FBI 3 Lighting:

Looks absolutely incredible :star_struck:

By the way, I have a question: Can we get volumetric lighting in the future too?
Just imagine how good that would look!

14 Likes

Here will be no more phase 4, the future lighting bugs will be later fixed and completely realistic.
That version would be possibly called Phase 4 V2

Ohhhh you made me sad :cry:
My PC is a Mac so made by Apple and it doesn’t show any good future lighting.
Maybe it’s just my PC or will Roblox fix that later…
Also, my PC doesn’t show sunrays.

I’ve been having a really fun time playing with this new Lighting technology! But I did find a little bug while walking my avatar around.

Wearing any thin accessories any or being in any harsh lighting conditions can lead to pixelated shadows being reflected onto the torso or avatar in general.

Keep in mind, the shadow softness was not tampered to trigger this strange bug. Hopefully this gets sorted out in a later phase!

If you’re interested in investigating the matter: Home - Roblox

1 Like

I’ve found a potential bug too (or maybe I’m just doing something wrong haha.) When a character walks through a part with Surface Lights, it gives the player a black line for the height of the part. I made a topic about it in help & support, it has a video attached to it showing the issue ( link to post ). When I change the lighting style to ShadowMap, it disappears.

Doe’s Future is Bright Phase 3 make my game lagging?

Pretty Nice But Its Wont Have Good Fps In Mobiles Maybe.

I would like to know if some shaders do not work in directx11: FEATURE LEVEL 10_0
Technology:“Future” and “Depth Of Field” effect don’t work for me

So currently, are mobile devices automatically on ShadowMap or has Future been enabled?

Mobile devices are currently on ShadowMap.

2 Likes

See if it does it on other mobile devices (Like your iPad or tablet)

Gosh this lighting update is the best update ever!
I went and made a little sewer hangout for my pirate crew to chill in.

1 Like

hello, hope everybody had great holidays! the fix for freezing/incorrect shadows should be live now, we’re investigating other issues and preparing for mobile release. looking forward to see more amazing places!

10 Likes

Has this issue been noted by anyone yet? It only occurs in some areas of my game, but these flashing lights are really distracting. I have no idea how to fix them, but someone suggested it might be because there are too many overlapping lights?

Heartbeat/Render returns to 60/s as soon as the lights are moved to storage or I look/move away

(There are no moving parts where the shadows are bugging out)

5 Likes

Yeah, I see it happening in my builds too. Only in the areas where I have a good few light sources.
They also start to flicker randomly.

1 Like

One problem I found is the part not being illuminated while emitting light itself. For example, like in the picture below the part is emitting light but the part is dark. It’s annoying because now I have to put another light which will light the part which may impact the games performance if used a lot.

1 Like

this is by design i would say? maybe because lights can only be attached to parts make it less obvious but it is what it is

1 Like

Thanks for fixing the shadows freezing issue.
I’m noticing the shadows stuttering on lower framerates. Is this intended behaviour?
Also, the resolution of the shadows sometimes become less and they get really pixelated.

stuttering is expected as we have a fixed budget for local light updates per frame. this might improve in future as we’re making budgeting more robust. making fewer shadow casting lights might also help

2 Likes