Future is Bright Phase 3 Released

They just added it to mobile with no performance improvements.

My ipad is starting to feel like a Samsung Galaxy S7 with this update.

1 Like

Yep, always expect new features to be half baked, and if posible rely on older methods as they are genraly more flexible and preforment.

3 Likes

That looks good but the new lighting only works in indoor environments that’s an outdoor environment so there’s not really a difference for that scene.

Hey @vrtblox, it seems like the issue I’ve reported above has started occurring again (or, at least in some similar form):

2 Likes

If you’re going to criticize someone, then be respectful while doing it. It’s not an easy job, and I’m happy that we’re getting this sort of advanced tech which supports all platforms seamlessly in the first place.
cc/ @ittrgrey

8 Likes

i’ll take a look, thank you for reporting

4 Likes

its been a while but i wanted to let you know that we’re working hard on optimizing this (and Shadowmap) and shipping it to all platforms. iOS should be live now with Android to come in near future. We’re not wrapping the work on Future (and Shadowmap) with this and will continue to look for possible optimizations and better scaling. thank you!

20 Likes

Thanks, please let me know when you enable for Android, I’ll be happy to check it out!

4 Likes

finally optimizations to the engine so more people can play roblox in peace

4 Likes

By the way, @vrtblox - I’m unsure on whether this is a bug or an intended feature, but if you zoom out from your character & interact with lightning, you can see the shadow updating at a slower pace.
I’m assuming this is intended behavior to combat lag, but it’d be great if shadows could have higher update priority based on whether the shadows are rendered on someone else’s character or your own, as it’s quite noticeable.
The max camera zoom distance is 25studs, which is a relatively small distance - and even then, the issues with shadow “LoD” are noticeable.

It seems like ever since the improvements made to FIB3, the decoration feature in Workspace > Terrain > Decoration.Enabled = true has been a bit funky. It seems like the decoration has no shadow at all. Not sure how to explain this better but…

Here’s a video I recorded on a Mac Mini (2020) M1 - macOS Big Sur: Version 11.6

As you can see I’m switching between FIB Technology and Shadowmap Technology, and you can tell the difference being shown on the decoration.
Hope this issue gets resolved as soon as possible.

7 Likes

This issue has also been affecting me for a number of days. I used to think I was going insane with nobody else noticing it. Thank god I’m not alone.

First image is Future.

Second image is Shadowmap.

HBAO doesn’t seem to work right in future lighting for some reason.

12 Likes

Yep, I can see some of the hard work you’re doing now, it runs much better. Keep going, you can do it!

The Future lighting is great so far but a lot of optimizations are still needed as a lot of people said and I’ve seen a lot of Improvement from the release until now!
Glad to see Roblox moving forward.
I’m really expecting real-time ray-tracing to be on Roblox in a couple of years.

I still don’t want to have Future lighting to be in-game yet since it is not that optimized.
When I’m playing a game with Future lighting, when going to places with a lot of light sources would get my device insanely laggy and sometimes even so unbearable and needed to reduce the graphics quality.

6 Likes

People are hating on the Chipotle game because it has unoptimized Future lighting. Coupled with false info about the outage, both factors have lead to the game being down to a 57% like ratio.

3 Likes

thingy

the skylight is fake btw

12 Likes

Hey uhh…is this a bug? when I enable shadowmap lighting it does shadow’s on the grass, but when I enable future lighting It removes the shadow from the grass.
Future lighting and grass enabled
RobloxScreenShot20211117_204232839|603x500
Shadowmap with grass enabled
RobloxScreenShot20211117_204327835|674x500

1 Like

It also remove’s the HBAO shadows from everything.

1 Like

Oh thank goodness I’m not the only one experiencing this too. I thought something was wrong with my computer. But yeah, I’ve been having the same issue as well and I’m glad this isn’t some random thing with just my computer, thanks for bringing this to light.

It’s still visible on parts and meshes for me, although for whatever reason the strength is toned WAY down. I don’t like this.

HBAO off (Graphics 19)

HBAO on (Future Lighting, Graphics 21)

HBAO on (ShadowMap Lighting, Graphics 21)

ShadowMap lighting’s AO looks so much better.

2 Likes

Looking at my pyjamas rn, I think Future’s AO is more realistic though

2 Likes