Future is Bright Phase 3 Released

You’ve very much forgotten.

The 2-3 weeks I was on about was related to the volumetric skies post you made. Last time I checked, a performance update was pushed out a couple months ago - not enough but not 8 months. And Vrtblox even said in a post that the memory issue has been fixed and will release soon - that itself shows work is happening on fib3.

3 Likes

Sorry, but your pessimism and non-constructive criticism is unnecessary. Please voice out your concerns more professionally and timidly.

4 Likes

There was some small improvements, but as I’ve said, it’s very far from enough.

Correct, I think it was already released though.

I’ve tried to do that plenty of times, but after a year of using this, I’m just tired of the only issue to FIB3 not being fixed.

I do agree that there needs to be more performance improvements but I was just responding to your claims that vrtblox “doesn’t care”

U do need to remember FIB3 is one huge project so ofc it will take time to be 100% perfect. Just be a little more patient. U also need to remember that Roblox work on multiple things at a time. I mean, CSG engine v3, terrain materials, dynamic skies and more. It takes time but I know they will iron all the isues out soon.

4 Likes

Everything shown in the 2016 hackweek video was implemented into Roblox, except for particle lighting (and higher quality shadowmaps COUGH COUGH).

Not really. Everything was just a lot more metallic in the 2016 hackweek demo.

Shiny ≠ Better Graphics

3 Likes

Meh personal thing. Mostly was on about the light actually having influence on particle.

And

Correct me if I’m wrong but that didn’t become a thing bc of some complications.

Quick question does fib3 run in real time now or not?

Are you talking about the slow updating ShadowMaps on local lights?

Something that should come is shadow baking, as that would help developers optimize their lights (making this a more viable lighting engine.)

Baking is not an option for Roblox cause they want the engine to be realtime, so any sort of baking is off the table

1 Like

That’s annoying, because it would increase performance. Oh well, I guess that’s how it is on Roblox.

Roblox wanting to have their engine be “realtime” is a paper-thin excuse to not allow LightMap baking, especially for local lights. Local Light shadows can be baked with a LightMap to allow the environments to feel more grounded while also saving on performance. A LightMap would allow dynamic objects such as a Humanoid or Unanchored parts/models to interact with shadows being cast from objects, but not being able to cast a shadow themselves since the lighting is baked.

It would look something like this:

If that were true, then they may as well just lock the Shadows property on local lights to True.

1 Like

Nope, however my question has been answered.

Steamed Hams Animation is being fitted with Global Illumination and indirect lighting:

(Specular Highlights are kinda annoying)

8 Likes

… not a valid excuse. If they really wanted their engine to be realtime, why don’t they optimize Fib3 so we can actually play a game with it and get 60 fps? It might take a rewrite of FIB3, but if that rewrite runs at 60FPS, I’m up for it.

5 Likes

(Sorry for late response)

Actually I think it’s a pretty good reason to not allow for baking. Baking lightmap data is good for games that you download once but with Roblox you will likely be switching between games somewhat often.

I’d imagine keeping file size down is a priority for The Roblo, so having baked lightmaps would serve to inflate file size and therefore increase load times (especially for users with poor internet, like me).

Realtime lighting saps more performance, yes, but it’s probably the best option for Roblox

4 Likes

So I recently setup my whole game to support future lighting. For indoor scenes, spotlights/surfacelights are generally not optimal as your ceiling will be pitch black, what I did is setup pointlights via an attachment about a stud or two below each light and it looks good. My gripes with the looks of everything are mostly taken care of.

I have two problems, one being the performance. I have a high-end graphics card, I should not be getting 40 FPS in a city scene with not many lights.

My second issue is the the flickering shadows and artifacts. You don’t notice them in still screenshots, so it doesn’t help for me to send them. You do notice them while actually playing the game. Weird black blobs appearing on my screen while my player moves around his flashlight, super laggy jittery shadows reflected from my car by the streetlights…

I really hope this isn’t a finished product, but I haven’t seen any kind of updates from Roblox staff about this feature and it worries me. With that said I’ll be disabling it for now.

7 Likes

what if you baked the lighting then ran the game? like client side baking?

I don’t think that would be feasible either. Let’s take TrackMania 2 as an example (I would use Source engine as an example too but I’m not well acquainted with the Hammer Editor). TrackMania 2 features a level editor for every environment, and to play on your map you have to validate it first so you can prove it can be completed.

But before validation, if you haven’t already, it will compute a lightmap for the entire level (which you can choose the quality of). Higher quality lightmaps took a pretty long time to create on my previous computer, especially for larger maps I made.

Now let’s go to the Roblox player base where most players do not have very powerful computers. Baking lightmaps for a level would take even longer especially for larger games. Even worse, any part of a Roblox map can change at any time, so this would completely screw up how the baked lighting looks.

Also, Roblox is supposed to be able to scale to devices without a lot of memory. A high quality lightmap will likely increase memory usage by a lot. I’m willing to bet older computers and older mobile devices don’t have much memory to spare, sooo basically by trying to save performance you are locking out older devices from playing your game because they don’t have enough memory.

Now maybe you could bake a low quality lightmap, sure. It would take up less memory, maybe, and also will be faster to compute, but This doesn’t look anywhere near as good as a higher quality lightmap or even dynamic lighting and you are still forced to deal with the problem of Roblox maps being able to change at any time.

I don’t see light map baking coming to roblox any time soon basically.

1 Like

The fact that Minecraft shaders can have better shadows than this, with similar framerates, is absurd and REALLY disappointing. (Also on the topic of bad performance from this, I would be interested to see how other games with these style of shadows perform on the non-performant devices.)

3 Likes

To be honest, roblox is a horrible engine with bad graphics too, if you look at red Matter on the oculus quest 2, that game can easily run 72hz with these kinds of graphicsmqdefault

And the fact the oculus quest 2 is a phone strapped to someone’s head and that it uses 1832x1920 resolution per eye, is even more disappointing

4 Likes