Future is Bright Phase 3 Released

:confused: A bit upset over the “Shadow cast” being disabled whilst “Future Lighting” technology is enabled!

Shadow map:

Future Lighting:

A good way to save performance, but I rather much prefer “Shadow cast” enabled on any Lighting Technology.
Hope we get the option to disable and enable shadow cast on Decorations in the future! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

It’s called Ambient Occusion, Roblox uses an AO called HBAO, or Horizon Based Ambient Occlusion. Roblox still has it enabled on Future lighting, but the strength is toned down to where it’s barely visible. This is to save on resources but it’s toned down a lot that it’s barely visible and a lot of objects now lack depth.

12 Likes

The lighting is probably baked lol

1 Like

Not trying to say ROBLOX’s engine is advanced or anything but for them to get anywhere near this level would require them to rewrite their graphics.

I’m assuming this because I remember seeing somewhere that ROBLOX’s team pointed out that they can barely roll out updates to the website because of how old it is.

I agree with you though, ROBLOX’s graphics engine is pretty bad compared to a lot of games, and might even be the worse. Who knows?

2 Likes

Yeah, I figured that out shortly after, but it’s still SUPER strange that Roblox doesn’t have baked lighting, when from what you can see it can be used to great lengths with perfect FPS.

3 Likes

Roblox’s Graphics engine is pretty dog water compared to others, if we had the ability to change the screen’s pixels and make our own post processing effects, then the graphics could be A LOT better.

2 Likes

because baked lighting is a texture and it would probably cause a lot of strain to download all that data. However I do think it would be smart to perform client baking when loading

If basically an android strapped to your head can load close to an entire game full with baked lights, then Roblox can 100% do it, of course if they don’t mess it up like they did with the reflections

1 Like

The difference is these are pre-downloaded games, the pre braked lighting and such are downloaded when you initially install. With Roblox, you have to load the entire game every time you play, not just once when you install.

1 Like

fake caustics are cool

8 Likes

How. That looks like something that the hellreaver devs would make.

1 Like

I don’t think phase 4 is coming out, to everyone who think it is. I remember seeing somewhere one of the staff saying that FIB3 will be the last phase for roblox lighting.

While it might still have lighting updates, tweaks and fixes, it’ll be where roblox stands permanently or atleast for a while.

I’ll update y’all if I find anything!

2 Likes

EnvMaps (cubemap reflections) are said to be the first step to FiB 4, which is Global Illumination as stated on the EnvMap announcement. Though I have no idea how roblox will ever make performant GI in the future, I think its safe to say that we won’t get anything for the next few years.

2 Likes

Isn’t hellreaver an FPS? I don’t understand what that has to do with this.

2 Likes

How do you do that? Just a glass ball?

2 Likes

They’ve made an in-engine pathtracer, they showed it off in #help-and-feedback:creations-feedback

Will the AutomaticExposure property be returning at some point? IIRC Roblox disabled it a while ago due to algorithmic problems, but they haven’t mentioned it in ages.

I don’t have a problem writing custom exposure for my games, but it would be nice to know whether or not AutomaticExposure is coming back, especially since API to detect light levels doesn’t seem to be on Roblox’s radar.

2 Likes

Manual light placement.

Oh you’re referring to PoptartNoah’s path tracer, I get it now. It’s much more simple in this case. I have no knowledge of scripting lol. I just do lighting hacks and animations

2 Likes

@vrtblox Please fix that. IT’S URGENT!!!

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say too urgent, just bad enough that it’s interfering with experiences that would’ve looked great on Future. Mobile doesn’t even have AO so you’re still having it a bit better.

2 Likes