Future Is Bright: Phase 3 - Studio Beta

In the meantime do what I do, add an attachment inside the light, then put the light inside that attachment. Now you can move the light source slightly infront or around the base of the light. And while it’ll look entirely normal, the lights visuals are improved by a ton.

3 Likes

I do that, but then
a: the shadows are wrong,
b: the combination with the surface lights cause too much performance loss,

I think I’ll just swap them out for industrial spot lights or something…

3 Likes

I’m getting some odd shadows with lighting, is this weird lighting happening to anyone else?

If this is a bug, I hope it gets fixed soon.

3 Likes

Future Is bright 3 is live now. I wonder when the brightness issue with voxel would be fixed. Also instead of changing it to voxel, why can’t it be changed to a version with less resolution like instead of it being 0.1 studs currently, for lower end devices it would be like 0.5 or 1 stud or even less if possible without killing performance. Maybe get rid of specular or a degraded version but it would solve the brightness issues and what I think would save quite a bit of performance.

1 Like

I don’t think it will be released for real without a message on here. This is probably another test, just longer than normal.

3 Likes

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/future-is-bright-phase-3-released so it is official. it doesn’t mean we’re done but it does mean we’re ready to go live and enhance things as we go

7 Likes

Will the “Shadow Softness” Setting in lighting ever affect FIB lights? as currently it does not.

2 Likes

Probably not, if they ever let you control the softness of local light shadows they are probably gonna let you control how soft they are for each individual light instead of it being controlled by the property in Lighting

2 Likes

Thank you for the clarification - I couldn’t verify point 2 for obvious reasons (though the timings appeared to fairly closely match when the flag was and was not enabled), but I could locally reproduce points 1 and 3 as seen in the below image (I can try for some clearer examples on different places i.e. SpecialMeshes and the failure of the low-quality shader to appear):

Left of the white line are how things look with the flag off, right is how they look with the flag on - taken a few minutes apart which is why there are more people on the left side.

Considering the flag is meant to change the indoor IBL behaviour to function more inline with Future in indoor environments (on games which use it), the fact that this appears to heavily affect the shading of outdoor environments on lower graphics modes, on all Lighting.Technology settings, is quite concerning.

3 Likes

How do I make light visible from very far away distance, like, always visible? I am making the Eiffel tower and this would be useful, so for now I’m using Neon, but I’m curious on when will always visible light will be implemented.

2 Likes

It looks amazing :slight_smile: I just turned my games into Future, I was testing it and I always loved to do that color mix:

The only con I noticed is about the graphics, shadows should be disabled first instead of whole future aspect since the shadows are using alot of memory. I’ve noticed Future gets disabled at the 4th bar and shadows at the 3rd one, it should be the contrary in my opinion, otherwise it’s really cool !

6 Likes

Will Lighting.Technology ever be accessible by lua code? At the moment it seems it’s impossible to do, or is there a reason why scripts are unable to change lighting technology?

5 Likes

Is there going to be a DynamicShadows property for Lighting so we can disable the shadows?

Also the shadows still seem to be buggy as you can see random dark shadows appearing while moving the camera rapidly:

8 Likes

I’m in love with the new FIB update, however I came to notice the shadows on surfacelights are very weird. I don’t know if it’s just me or if this is a general issue, but would love to get an answer. If there’s a way to fix this, please let me know as well!

Example of surfacelights:

4 Likes

I have that problem too. The shadow quality is bad compared to the other type of lights.

3 Likes

From personal experience messing with the lights I can confirm this unless they fixed it.
1 - Lights overlaying other lights with shadows can cause a bit of lag
2 - Lights used in dark rooms can result in shadows not updating properly and little patches in the shadow itself. If you check on any Jailbreak video when they had the lighting it had a tendency to mess up with the brake lights at light in a dark location.

2 Likes

08acebf65103c845fd7798dbc09ef90f5ef70898_2_646x500

I don’t know about you guys but the new lighting looks great! The future is BRIGHT!

5 Likes

Maybe your graphics level wasn’t high enough?

2 Likes

Eh… That is a future y’know?

2 Likes

Have you been able to circumvent this problem? I imagine that turning off the castshadow property for the decorative blocks might work…?

3 Likes