Future Is Bright: Phase 3 - Studio Beta

I’ve noticed that Future is Bright V3 is now live in all servers, as well as updated in studio. I DO NOT know if this was a mistake that is gonna be fixed soon, but me as well as many others developers are incredibly upset about the current changes. The brightness levels have been completely swapped meaning many many many games built in Future have to be redone. Its incredibly upsetting because I’ve put in many many months of work into a Future Showcase, and it would be impossible to fix due to brightness levels. Could potentially a special feature exist to return to an old state of Future, or what exactly is going on here?

Here is exactly what I mean.
Future released now:

What Future was:

I seriously hope this was a minor error, or something that will be fixed because many games are effected by it and all these developers will have to redo their lighting systems.

13 Likes

there was some experimental change being enabled cause things to become too bright which is off now. though you should be expecting some indoor lighting changes in the coming weeks/months because its a bit too dark now

8 Likes

In that case, will Future eventually return to its original brightness levels, or will it remain slightly off in the near future?

1 Like

it is already at original brightness levels (you may need to restart studio/client to get that) but that would change in near future though hopefully not as dramatically as this experimental change

5 Likes

Alright thank you, just got the changes.

1 Like

oh man this is insane, I love it!image image image

5 Likes

im noticing that the future is looking very bright in game right now :eyes:
is this a temporary thing? or is the future now

3 Likes

Uhhh… What just happened with the new update? All of the custom lighting I placed, that I’ve spent hours working on looks the exact same with Voxel and Shadowmap.

(ignore the blue lighting)

This is what it looks like currently with future is bright

And these are what it looks like with the other types of lighting.

Shadowmap

Voxel

Compatibility

Is this a temporary change or what happened? I am exreamly confused, and honestly concerned with this new update.

3 Likes

This may be related to a FFlag which has been turned off since your post was made, FFlagRenderFixIndoorSpecIBL, which also appears to replace the low-graphics renderer with the same used on level 3+ and make graphics levels 1 and 2 essentially redundant.

It also caused avatar renders which were produced whilst it was turned on, on Roblox’s Cloud Compute Service (RCCService), to turn a weird blue-ish colour.

4 Likes

I have my graphics for Roblox always turned all the way up, even if studio. But I’ll look into it.
Thank you.

1 Like

If it still looks different to how it’s supposed to after fully restarting Roblox Player & Studio, I would suggest filing a bug report.

1 Like

Looks like it is disabled now in-game :frowning:, all though if it was enabled for a few minutes it means release is very close…

I agree, this probably means the update should be releasing soon.
Just in case I updated my game with new lighting for when it releases.

1 Like

The problem about pre-building your game with Future (and releasing it before Future is up) means that you have to be very careful on the lighting, use a lot of Packages (Yes, people use them!) to save yourself some lighting work and hope for the best.

1 Like

I love how your just casually playing in VR. Looks hot btw

just a quick update to let you guys know what’s going on. we’ve tried to enable phase 3 today with some of the fixes that we thought would help better transition from Voxel but it didn’t work out that great in some of the places, we’re currently figuring why. please note that fib3 is still beta and theoretically any part of it can change, but we’re trying to minimize the impact so that people won’t have to fully relight their scenes. also remember about IBLScale slider which should help uncover full potential of fib3. thank you for the patience, we’re doing our best to tackle this!

26 Likes

Out of interest, was this related to the “RenderFixIndoorSpecIBL” FFlag, and if so, were the following changes intentional, and if so, why?

• Low graphics levels 1 and 2 basically being the same as 3, making them redundant
  • Avatar renders generated by RCC on the website turning blue for the just-under an hour it was enabled for
  • Fallback low quality shader not appearing on any graphics level, even on objects quite a distance away

In my opinion, all of these changes appeared to be the opposite of a fix, and as if the functionality of the flag was causing more problems than it tried to solve.

1 Like

i’m not sure second and third points were caused by this, at least this wasn’t the intent. in most of the places we investigated there’s quite big ‘fill’ lights that shine through walls/ceilings/floors in voxel mode but not in future mode. we use voxel lights to do ibl and this results in places becoming super bright whereas per-pixel lights become kinda invisible in those circumstances. so there might be a bug where places are too bright, but regardless they will be brighter than in current beta and the lighting would have to be tuned to account that it seems. i’ll post an update as soon as we have something concrete

10 Likes

I really hope it gets much better. It made my horror game lobby basically impossible to adjust the look of how it was before. It made everything look worse and look like voxel, this is exactly what I worried about. And also when you publish the new one, instead of making it live in game maybe you should keep it in beta so we could give our opinions on it so you know what to change. Also I used studio mod manager to view this by the way.

1 Like

I think fib3 should be forced on a basically unlimited range for all graphics settings let me explain why. So the issue with this hybrid technique that the brightness difference is way to big and the voxels them self are way to big.

You could make the shadow map shape it more like voxels but it would get rid of a lot of quality. You could change the voxel size to the smallest it could be which is 1x1x1 and show it to lower end devices but the baseline performance is worse then fib3 and have a lot of issues. It’s said in this GitHub article prototyping both of them Future Is Bright - Comparison | future-is-bright. The performance can be offset but it would take much more resources to fix the other issues and optimizations which could of been used for optimizing fib3 instead. It’s basically impossible to do the current hybrid technique without losing quality on fib3. I don’t want to go too in depth cause I don’t want you to read an entire essay : P

But there is one way I thought of doing this for lower end devices and having per pixel lighting as a temporary fix until it gets more optimized so it can be enabled on all graphics settings. Right now the size of the shadowmaps are 0.1 studs. But for lower settings why don’t you change the size to 1 stud so its like having 1 stud voxels but better or 0.5 studs. Ideally the lower the studs the better it would be so the difference isn’t too huge. Then a blur could be added so it looks more smooth and not blocky. It could save a lot of performance while having a more consistent brightness level. It really could save a lot of performance. Only issue is real-time performance could still suffer a bit because you might have a flash light in a game with shadows and ill always have updating shadows cause you’re moving the light source, so that could decrease framerate quite a bit but the lower resolution could offset that but I’m unsure.

1 Like