Future Is Bright: Phase 3 - Studio Beta

Hmm, this doesn’t look normal.

Here’s the game where it happens.robloxfib3glitches.rbxl (22.6 KB)

I hope it gets fixed soon!

6 Likes

The problem with doing this is that the voxel system then cannot be used on the other lighting technologies, and you are sacrificing lower-end player performance. This simply could not be done without decimating a huge portion of Roblox’s income and playerbase, something the company cannot afford.

2 Likes

I understand that. But what I said is to increase the shadowmap size to maybe 1 stud or half a stud, the current size is 0.1 studs. This would save a lot of performance for lower end devices and the brightness difference wouldn’t be as huge as voxel. And the issue with making future is bright similar to voxel that it could just could ruin fib3 as a whole and degrade quality compared to what we have now. I don’t want the quality degraded just so it supports a vastly different lighting system. It would make more sense if the shadowmap size gets bigger like 1 stud or half a stud for lower settings so lower end devices wouldn’t suffer and so hopefully the brightness difference isn’t too big and basically the same. You still would need more optimizations obviously. But if you increase the size and optimize it, it would be much more feasible to do. And also what do you mean by this?

All I’m saying is for FIB3 for lights why can’t the shadowmap resolution be decreased for lower settings which could save a lot of performance instead of changing it to voxel. I’m not saying get rid of all voxel lighting in roblox I’m saying is decrease the shadowmap resolution so you wouldn’t have to change it to voxel for that one technology and not give an unfair advantage is certain games and not degrade the quality of fib3 and could make a lot of people upset just to support voxel. Maybe fib3 could have a special voxel but with its limited resolution I don’t think it would be possible without degrading fib3. Maybe I’m wrong, maybe it could without degrading fib3 quality, but I doubt it.

What do you mean by released in all servers?

1 Like

Some time ago fib3 was live in game but then went back being a beta feature.

1 Like

Oh. I hope it returns soon as my game needs it to fit the environment.

1 Like

Hey, could I know what “IBLScale” is? I can’t seem to find any information on it :sweat_smile:. Thanks!

2 Likes

Referring to EnvironmentDiffuseScale and EnvironmentSpecularScale under Lighting

3 Likes

Yeah, it was live to all servers for a good two hour period, then was switched back to a beta feature.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if this has been posted a lot before, but…
i feel like point lights do a really bad job of illuminating the area immediately around them.

For example, i have a lot of these fluorescent lights. I’d like to use a single point light for the sake of resources, but they look like this…

compare to surface lights, which… while isn’t great… is a step up.

I can fix this slightly with a point light+surface lights. but now it’s too resource intensive to have a lot of…

This issue seems to cause the most problems when lights are within 1 stud of the surface.

11 Likes

Can’t you make the range bigger though?

4 Likes

all lights present are range 60.

4 Likes

this is expected. if the point like is really close to surface, light direction around that surface would be almost perpendicular to surface normal. and since unlike voxel lighting fib3 uses normal and proper PBR lighting equation (which includes N dot L) those surfaces are almost not lit. GI might help to improve this one day though

7 Likes

In the meantime do what I do, add an attachment inside the light, then put the light inside that attachment. Now you can move the light source slightly infront or around the base of the light. And while it’ll look entirely normal, the lights visuals are improved by a ton.

3 Likes

I do that, but then
a: the shadows are wrong,
b: the combination with the surface lights cause too much performance loss,

I think I’ll just swap them out for industrial spot lights or something…

3 Likes

I’m getting some odd shadows with lighting, is this weird lighting happening to anyone else?

If this is a bug, I hope it gets fixed soon.

3 Likes

Future Is bright 3 is live now. I wonder when the brightness issue with voxel would be fixed. Also instead of changing it to voxel, why can’t it be changed to a version with less resolution like instead of it being 0.1 studs currently, for lower end devices it would be like 0.5 or 1 stud or even less if possible without killing performance. Maybe get rid of specular or a degraded version but it would solve the brightness issues and what I think would save quite a bit of performance.

1 Like

I don’t think it will be released for real without a message on here. This is probably another test, just longer than normal.

3 Likes

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/future-is-bright-phase-3-released so it is official. it doesn’t mean we’re done but it does mean we’re ready to go live and enhance things as we go

7 Likes

Will the “Shadow Softness” Setting in lighting ever affect FIB lights? as currently it does not.

2 Likes