Future Is Bright: Phase 3 - Studio Beta

Custom PBR and because my work is low poly I actually keep the file sizes very low.

The reason they are moderated is not guess-work. The robot is programmed the exact same as the moderators are trained. Anything that could be obscured, hard to read, or seemingly blank is supposed to be rejected. It’s actually a pretty big flaw in attempting to add certain layers conflicting with old pre-texture moderation policies which have never been addressed to compensate for any textures, let alone PBR.

Fortunately I had my ticket escalated high enough that the team understands the problem and is now trying to find a solution to correct it.

There’s nothing wrong with anything I’ve uploaded but there are very real problems with moderation. Hopefully appeals moderators will be trained now so they can stop rejecting certain types of textures. Maybe one day the bot will even stop banning them too.

2 Likes

Tip: Make the image slightly brighter and more contrasting, it will be nearly the same.

For example, this is not ok according to Roblox:

But this is:

3 Likes

I’ve already tried that, with specular it completely ruins it.
For example, on my “wet” surfaces, it does not take very much at all to take the look from something that looks wet to something that’s just a dark color.
By the time I could get any of those images to pass, the specular was already ruined and looked like trash.

However, I did manage to prove my point to some people that have gotten it being looked at by an internal team and they are trying to fix it.

2 Likes

The future is cool, I got my point were I thought that reflections get better at that same moment.

1 Like

by indoor changes are you referring to the Indoor Dynamic Environment Maps or something else?

2 Likes

Two cool additions that I’m not sure are possible but personally would love, The ability to toggle light reflecting, for some games this would completely change the style but still get futures other benifits instead of using voxel. Volume Light, Light emits from the entire part not just a point or spot, The whole inside of the part, This could be used to create more convincing reflections on some objects (No point on the floor) or replace the annoying way we have to light rooms now (A ton of point lights) that is really noticeable and can be improved with the first feature too.

3 Likes

Do you mean Global Illumination?

Do you mean emissive material? Also, what do you mean by, “The whole inside of the part”?

Roblox doesn’t support reflections. What you’re talking about is the specular highlight, which is essentially a pseudo reflection that reflects the light source and nothing else.

Example:

Also adding “Volume Lights” (emissive material) wouldn’t really improve/change specular highlights. SurfaceLight seems to fit the description of what you want added, except the light is cast on an single surface rather than being emitted from the object itself. The specular is still the same as a Spot/PointLight, but moves with the camera to compensate for the lack of coverage.

Another issue with emissive material is that you can’t really cast shadows from it unless you used Ray Tracing or a Ray Tracing based lighting system because of how complex objects can get, and you can’t light realistically or accurately using standard per-pixel lighting.

To create accurate light reflections, Roblox would have to implement real-time reflections into their engine, like Viewport, SSR, Updating CubeMaps, Ray Tracing, etc.

2 Likes

Sorry I don’t know the technical terms / the correct terms for lighting, Just had a few ideas.

Do you mean Global Illumination?

No, I meant the Highlights.

Do you mean emissive material? Also, what do you mean by, “The whole inside of the part”?

No, I mean another light emitter form, Instead of a point or having a ton of surfaces, The entire part emits light inwards (one emitter for all surfaces)

Roblox doesn’t support reflections. What you’re talking about is the specular highlight, which is essentially a pseudo reflection that reflects the light source and nothing else.

Technically that isn’t true due Indoor ENV maps , But you are right about the term. I was suggesting (like said in an earlier reply) the ability to toggle highlights within a light source

This is how I imagine volume light would behave

Light thing (gyazo.com)

Each “surface” of the part emits light inward illuminating the entire part without use of materials.

1 Like

This is a HUGE upgrade to Roblox Studio

I do have to admit I have encountered bugs which I have reported right away, but this is honestly one of the greatest things Roblox has ever added.

12 Likes

The materials actually improve by using Future as a feature of graphics but if you turn it into vulkan with Future your game goes brr!

3 Likes

I see what you mean here, although I don’t think Roblox would add it because it won’t really make sense to illuminate the inside of a room via walls rather than a light source.

This would be true if Roblox wasn’t trying to use CubeMap reflections as pseudo GI. EnvMaps are taking a turn for the worse.

Completely agree. I attempt to fake Global Illumination in my games and animations, and seeing a sharp specular highlight on surfaces isn’t nice looking.

6 Likes

it’s still sad how even as of now, the limit is STILL 60 studs and I can’t find any answer on why there’s a limit. It’s a game engine, if the shadows can’t properly render at said distance the developer’s probably going to notice that anyway.

Manual control is everything in a game engine, and I desperately need more than 60 max range for realistic flashlights/car headlights regardless of the drawbacks.

8 Likes

I bet its due to really bad shadow artifacts. Even when its lower then 60 its already very bad and is surprisingly isn’t fixed yet.

3 Likes

The future sure is bright! (well for my case, dark)

If we could have proper volumetric lighting and fog. This scene would look much amazing!

15 Likes

Looks good brother. Very impressive.

If there is ever a FIB 4. Will it introduce Ray tracing compatibility, volumetric smoke or fog, or even cooler stuff like realistic water?

6 Likes

Future bright looks amazing i like the update very much :grin:

1 Like

Is it still on the docket to port compatibility for mobile users? This is actually really screwing my game up. The way the player’s flashlight looks shining on tile flooring on mobile is horrendous. It flickers every time the player takes a step…

:frowning:

3 Likes

These screenshots look fresh and aesthetic

2 Likes

Ridiculously cool.

8 Likes