Futuristic Island- How should I start?

I’m about to try and tackle a massive scale project, of which I’m probably biting off far more than I could possibly chew, but I’ll launch and If I miss maybe I’ll hit the moon instead of a star.

I am going to try and make a sci-fi futuristic theme island/city which will be floating and surrounded by a force field. My issue being that I’m not sure were to start and how to do it. For a project of this scale I know I need to break it up into sections.
Something similar-

My primary issue being how to create the island itself.
-Do I make it in blender and export it in separate pieces?
-Do I use the roblox terrain tool and add models to make it sci fi.
-Any other way (specify)

Thanks!

Terrain is probably your best bet.
If you make it a Mesh then there will be issues with the visual and physical properties of the island not matching up, so players may walk above the surface in convex areas.

1 Like

You can use triangles to make the island.

1 Like

I see, the person in the dev forum used parts that’s interesting I’m not too sure how to do that, I suppose its just placing them until it looks right.

Thanks for replying, I will definitely look into terrain I just find it difficult to adjust.

That can be easily avoided by changing the CollisionFidelity property to Precise Convex Decomposition. That’s all you have to do to make the game use the mesh as the actual collision area so floating doesn’t occur.

I would say terrain for the base but blender for the structures that don’t play a role in anything for the forcefield its easy cause you can just do a sphere and can collide and then BAM

1 Like

Even with PreciseConvexDecomposition enabled large Meshes still don’t follow the visual/physical rules. Especially with concave depressions.
If you enable ShowDecompositionGeometry in the Studio settings (or use CloneTrooper1019’s plugin) then it shows the physical shape of Meshes and UnIons.