Game Entities Fail To Load If Studio Crashes While Updating Packages

This is something I noticed just now.

The problem I’ve been having with Redshift Arena the past two weeks fixed itself earlier when I opened up a level within the game and updated the Package. I purposely crashed Studio while a package was updating just to test my theory just a few minutes ago, and sure enough, the bug came back. It completely destroys the GameExplorer, making it think that it’s not a published place.

This is a fairly serious problem as I didn’t know what could be causing it and I lost two weeks of development time as i previously thought this was a connection problem with Roblox’s servers.

I’m unsure if this would fall under ROBLOXCRITICAL, so I’m not putting that in the title. @buildthomas or someone else can verify that for me.

Repro steps:

1. Create package
  2. Create another place within the same universe
  3. Insert package into the newly created place
  4. In the original place where the package was created, or wherever the update to package occurs, publish the update to package
  5. In the newly created place, or wherever you didn’t update / publish changes to the package, download the latest version to the outdated package.
  6. While the package is downloading / updating the outdated package, crash studio.
  7. When you open up any place within the universe, you should get a 500 Internal Server error relating to game entities not loading, and the game explorer completely fails
3 Likes

Hi,

Can you please explain to us the steps you are taking to crash Studio? We are trying to reproduce this issue so we can investigate it.

Thanks!

1 Like

The way Studio crashes for me, is if I have multiple places open within the same universe. The first two places usually crash, while the other places that are open (4,5, & 6 in my test the other day) download the updated package and are able to publish just fine. It’s usually the 2nd and 3rd place that crashes for me.

I discovered this bug by accident when attempting to mass-update all 8 or so levels in my game.

I have a bug pretty similar to this one.

One day I was editing a scenary for one of my animations, but when I closed one of the Plugins, it crashed the Studio, I’m not really sure what caused this, and I’m not sure if this was my computer or the Plugin being too buff for Studio to handle.

Reply to this if you had an expirience similar to this one or the main topic, the Plugin I used is called “ICan’s Animator Helpers”.

My experience with this insanely unfriendly bug:

1 Like