Game versions, don't allow players to join old version

Every time I update my game, I use a sophisticated datastore using script that shutsdown all servers within 5 minutes. Then I upload my game and wait for the servers to die down.

After 5 minutes all servers are dead, except about 3-4 of them which has 0 players. These servers will be kept alive for eternity due to the frequent players who keeps joining and being instantly kicked. Even tho the title of the game is: DO NOT JOIN.

This causes me to have to wait for a REALLY long time until I can find a new server.

We need a game version number that doesn’t allow players to rejoin back into old servers. Not only will this cause a smooth transition but will also make it easier for developers to update their games without risking dataloss.

ALTERNATVE:
Allow us to deactivate the game without shutting down all servers. This creates a controlled shutdown of all servers while not allowing new players to join.

Like if you agree, this feature is long overdue.

7 Likes

I don’t think you understand how difficult it is for servers to coordinate information like this so rapidly.
There are multiple server vendors, and if they are all frequently checking to see if they are up to date.

Maybe you should focus on making versions iteratively compatible with each other so you don’t have to worry about compatibility issues between servers.

Also consider trying to set up an automatic update system using a model and GetLatestAssetVersionAsync.

Duplicate of: Allow us to phase out old servers by preventing new players from joining

It doesn’t seem to be a problem for ROBLOX. You aren’t matchmade into servers that are an older version of ROBLOX.

2 Likes

This is a terrible solution, you might aswell say: Consider creating your own game engine!

It’s not difficult at all, roblox already does it with their own updates, it needs to be available for developers on individual games aswell.

1 Like