Gamepass Icons being resized incorrectly (not square)

Expected Behavior
Roblox resizes my original 1000x1000 image to 420x420 when I upload the image to a gamepass icon.

Actual Behavior
Roblox resizes my original 1000x1000 image to 420x380 causing it to look stretched when I upload the image to a gamepass icon.

The behavior does not change even if I resize the image to 420x420 before I upload it to the gamepass icon.

This issue started April 18th 2023 according to this post in Help and Feedback: Gamepass images stretched

Reproduction steps
Upload an image for any gamepass icon. I was able to figure out that it was incorrectly resized by opening the gamepass image in new tab when it was uploaded.

6 Likes

We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database, and we’ll follow up when we have an update!

Thanks for the report!

5 Likes

This error is still occurring. See the below image, icon was originally 1000x1000. Do you have an update yet? It appears this error has been going as far back as 2021 (Developer Product Icon is Scaled Wrong), possibly earlier.

I haven’t been able to reproduce this on my end; but I do have a question; are these all square images or or circular? We resize images and crop them to a circle for passes so I’m wondering if that might cause some weird scaling issues

Below are the images I attempted to upload. They are 1000x1000 square images. It appears to happen randomly; I uploaded a gamepass icon last night with the exact same dimensions and it was fine, and then today tried to upload three icons with it resizing strangely.

Attempted upload image(s)

This also happened to a friend of mine randomly, on a seperate occasion, using the same scale 1000x1000 scale square images. We both also tried to rescale to smaller sizes, I tried 150x150, 400x400, and my friend tried 420x420, but again to no avail - keeping the sizes the same.

I found a fix for this was drawing around the PNG, empty area with a barely visible brush, 0.1 opacity on brush size 1 did the trick and fixed the scaling for me. Below is an example of a fixed gamepass icon which has the correct scaling. Could be something to do with the website cropping out completely blank areas?

The fixed image. You may have to open this image in its original to see the faint lines.

Hope this helps. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This issue is currently happening to me. I uploaded my new gamepass icons (they’re 1000x1000 pixels), I even tried 512x512 pixels (roblox’s recommendation) but it has come to no avail.

The red boxes indicate the new gamepasses I uploaded, the other gamepasses were uploaded months ago (probably a year).

Here is one of my gamepass icons that you could reupload to see for yourself:

I hope this gets fixed as soon as possible. We tried multiple different resolutions and compressed the image as well. We also tried to fill in the outside empty space and reuploaded - but nothing worked. This issue causes my gamepasses to look streched and blurry - which will impact my revenue in a terrible way.

1 Like

Following up with this. I found a fix; you have to fill the whole image with a background in order for the website to not strech and make your gamepass blurry. I do not know what update the Roblox team did, but please look into it. I used to be able to upload gamepasses with cool shapes behind them but now I have to fill it completely up.

2 Likes

Any updates on this? The error is still occurring. Please view my reply above for more info - hope that helps.

Having the same issue here. Has this been fixed yet? Would Love a Response!

Hi - this should be fixed. Please let me know if this is still an issue. The underlying cause was that images with transparent backgrounds did not have their border spacing respected, so a workaround was to add a thin invisible border around the image.