GamersInternational's guide to Inkscape

Hello, I’m GamersInternational and today I’m going to talk to you about the vector graphics program, Inkscape.

First of all, before I even start talking about the program, there is another brilliant guide to Inkscape found here [I’ve used some ideas from this to help teach you]: Kymaraaa's guide to Inkscape.

To get started, make sure you’ve downloaded the program from inkscape.org, if you don’t know what architecture you have when you get to this screen [shown below] then press Windows key + R and type ‘control /name Microsoft.System’ [this may not work in Windows 10 version 20H2 or newer, instead press Windows key + X and click System] and see what your system type is, if it’s x86 then get the 32-bit version and if its x64 then get the 64-bit version.

After you’ve done that, install the program with the installer and launch the program after you’ve installed it. Your now into the main Inkscape menu, yours will look different to mine shown here, but I’ll show you how to get it like mine.

Before I lead you onto the next section, let me explain more about the program as I did give a vague explanation at the start. Inkscape is a program designed for users to make scalable vector graphics. Scalable Vector Graphics [SVG] is a file format that can be resized as large as you want without being blurry [if you do import a PNG then it may be blurry if you resize it to a large size]. This next section has been divided into sub-sections to make it easier to understand.

Preparations

Settings

Right, I’m going to go through some settings that will be useful to you. To open the Settings menu, go into Edit > Preferences. The preferences menu will now appear, below I’m going to suggest stuff you change straight away.

If your obsessed with dark theme, you’ll want to enable it right away, go into Interface > Theme and make sure this tickbox is ticked.

The next thing I suggest you change is in Input/Output > Autosave. By default, autosave is enabled in Inkscape though it might save less regularly than what you want. I recommend changing the autosave interval to 3 minutes. [the default autosave location is at %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\inkscape, it might be useful to save it to your pictures folder instead]

That’s about all you need to change in Inkscape.

Tools Information

Click on any object to move them and to resize them.

Edit SVG paths with this tool.

Create a Square/Rectangle.

Create a Circle.

Create other polygons and stars.

Insert a 3D Box.

Create a spiral.

Create straight lines and Bezier, Spiro and BSpline paths.

Draw a freehand line.

Draw calligraphic and brush strokes

Insert text.

Edit gradient.

Create and edit mesh gradients.

Colour picker.

[if you’ve got a 1080p screen you can probably see the icons for these next few but I have a 768p screen]

Fill a portion of your graphics.

Haven’t spent much time with these tools so I can’t explain this a lot.

Zoom - Click on a specific area of your graphics to zoom in
Measure - Pulls out a ruler in mm to measure your graphics

Sidebar Setup

Look at the right side of your screen and you will see various menus that you can dock to the side of your screen, I personally use ‘Fill and Stroke’, ‘Layers’ and ‘Export PNG Image’. To put a menu on top of another menu to create a tabbed experience, hold on the titlebar on your tab and move it towards the middle of the other menu, like this.

Your first SVG

Now it’s time to create your FIRST SVG. I’m going to be demonstrating to you on how to make a simple Computer Monitor icon. Press File > New from Template and select the Icon template, you should have your icons size at 96px or higher.

Press Create from template and a new document will open, this time it will have grids to snap to instead of having none before.

This icon will be entirely made by squares just to make things simple for you. I would make sure your squares have round corners, to do this set Rx and Ry at the top to 15.

Your SVG should currently look similar to this, I’m going to let you guys do the screen and the stand to learn by yourself.

You should of done your screen and stand by now, it should look something like this.

As you can see, there’s one thing it’s missing and that’s colour. I’m going to use gradients for the colour in this icon as it generally looks better. To do this, open the Fill and Stroke window and change the type to a linear gradient for the fill.

Once your in this mode, click on one of the points and select the colour for the point, repeat it for the other point. Repeat it for each of the shapes [if you want the same result as this, group all the parts of the frame and stand]. You should now have something like this.

We’re almost done, let’s apply a gradient to the screen now. [I used a radial gradient instead of a linear gradient for the screen]

We’ve now made our icon, however how do we save it? First of all, we are going to save it as an SVG [you can’t currently upload this to Roblox so I’ll be showing you how to export as a PNG as well]. Press File > Save As… and then browse to your selected directory.

Click Save and now you’ve saved your file which can be scaled as big as you want.

However, you’ll almost always want to have a PNG copy of it as well. Open the Export PNG Image panel and press the Page button at the top. Feel free to choose the PNG size and select your directory then press Export.

You’ve now created your very own SVG with Inkscape, thanks for reading :smiley:

7 Likes

So is this program similar to photoshop. But instead, it’s for free.

1 Like

It’s nothing like Photoshop [haven’t used it before so could be giving inaccurate information]. Photoshop is mainly an image editing/raster graphics program but instead Inkscape is a vector graphics editing program.

1 Like

oh ok, I see what you mean. I might try it out them thanks for showing this to us. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes