Games not opening after computer wipe and fresh install

ROBLOX won’t open up on my computer; whenever I click on a game it opens up the setup/update screen then closes.
It worked fine before my computer was wiped and everything re-downloaded

Here’s a video of what happens when the ‘Play’ button is pressed:

Log/Dump Files

System Information

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
Processor: Intel(R) Core™ i5 CPU M 460 @ 2.53GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Name: Intel(R) HD Graphics

7 Likes

Title suggests they reinstalled already. (computer wipe, fresh install)

If you have a malware/AV program, temporarily disable it and see if that helps. Look in the event log in windows and see if anything stands out. Lastly, make sure all software is up to date.

Is Windows 7 even receiving security patches anymore? I believe it’s out of support.

3 Likes

@MasterSapphireFrost, @TakeYourLemons

I have already tried everything on help.roblox.com, including your recommended solutions.

1 Like

I’m on discord TakeYourLemons#8765 if you want to take this further.

I think the Windows association with Roblox has been eliminated…more than likely by your malware/av program. Try disabling all malware and AV programs and then uninstall/reinstall and report results. Make sure you run the Roblox install as Administrator equivalent and make sure UAE is turned off. @Prof_4K

Also disable plugins in the browser you are using. If Chrome go into Incognito mode. This eliminates plugins and potential bad actors. Also try different browsers.

As I said before, I’ve already tried all that.
I’ve done everything listed on the help page, looked for solutions on both the DevForum and Google, and emailed ROBLOX customer support. Nothing’s working.

1 Like

My suggestion was different, but ok. This problem feels vaguely similar but this was years ago when I was last on Win7. When uninstalling try and cleanup directories so the path for the Roblox files are all removed. Rebooting between uninstall and reinstall may help in releasing some files that are needed to be removed.

Try looking at : How to solve 'open URL: Roblox Protocol' issue in chrome?
Method 4 looks interesting to me since you said you already tried incognito mode.

1 Like

image Same with studio and roblox loading screen when i join a game

1 Like

That’s a different problem, there are no errors when opening the ROBLOX player.

I tried method 4, but there are no files called ‘User’ in the Chrome folder. My Chrome version is 81.0.4044.129, while the steps given are for Chrome 63.

Edit: I found another post with a similar problem, and got the ‘URL Roblox Protocal’ message to stop showing up. Unfortunately, the player still won’t work:

The same thing happens on all browsers. I don’t think it’s something wrong with Chrome, it’s something to do with Roblox itself.

Name the specific process you used to “reload” your machine. Are you crystal clean installing from Windows ISOs, did you do a System Restore from an image backup from a certain point of time or…

You may want to download Process Monitor - Sysinternals | Microsoft Learn
Sysinternals is the bomb for finding out what the machine is doing during install. Yes do an uninstall/reinstall of Roblox but also make sure you clean up what is currently running in memory and clean up files not deleted by the install process. I’d advise removing any av/malware detection software prior to the next run.

What other software is running in the system tray? in process window (put screnshot here). See if we can start closing out processes prior to install and see if the Process Monitor can help piinpoint problems. I’m not sure if there’s an install log but see if there is. Investigate Windows logs as well. If the product isn’t running either the install didn’t work or there’s something running interfering. Take steps to minimize both before next install run and use the tool.

That’s an entirely different error and is related to the connectivity from your client to the Roblox servers.

I’ll check that out tomorrow, thanks.

Should I assume this is normal?

I’ve never used this tool before, I’m honestly not exactly sure how or what it does. Could you give some more detailed instructions?

I was suggesting you monitor the registry for the install only (see if u can turn on/off logging) to see what it modifies and if there are any errors preventing it. Remove all programs from memory. Uninstall all AV/malware apps. system tray should be clean.

If you want to DM me for perhaps a screen share this might can go quicker. I’m trying to remember how I delt with this I had this error years ago as well.

I’ve sent a request on Discord, although I’m not going to do any ‘screen share’-type things it will likely be easier to figure this out there.

This happens to me too and it sometimes show this error Screenshot 2020-11-25 074825 or Screenshot 2020-11-25 152444 help me fix it ?

I have had this same issue although it was on a virtual machine as I tried to use Roblox on a VM. Do you know how much video memory the iGPU has and which version of Intel HD Graphics do you have (for example I have 620). This might help but its highly unlikely.

Bumping this topic because this is starting to happen to me. I did the following:
-Reinstalled Roblox.
-Reinstalled Roblox Studio too.
-Disabled my Anti Virus/AV.
-Resetted my internet options
And more.

The only way I’m currently able to join games is using the Microsoft Store App of Roblox, but It’s really annoying to use as I’m used to the website’s design, chrome plugins, etc. Can anyone help me please?

EDIT: Resetting my internet options now works, but I have to reset them EVERY TIME i want to join a new game/switch servers. Really annoying tbh.