5. Re-open the place through the file system
6. Click play or start a local test server with at least one player

System Information
Windows 10
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor @ 3.60GHz
32 GB
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT

Expected Behavior

StarterGear should only consist of gear that I have explicitly added to the game.

Actual Behavior

StarterGear contains the gear that is currently equipped to my avatar.

Issue Area: Studio
Issue Type: Other
Impact: Low
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2022-06-22 00:06:00 (-05:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2022-07-05 00:07:00 (-05:00)

14 Likes

Been having the same issues as of 6/22/22:

Since I mostly work in local place files, this is pretty impactful to me.

2 Likes

This happens to me as well.

Roblox has two options to fix this:

1. Add an option to edit the game and allow certain gear locally
  2. Prevent this from happening.

A workaround would be to have a script that deletes everything from StarterGear on startup. Here I made one for you:

--place in Backpack
wait(2)
game.Players.LocalPlayer.StarterGear:ClearAllChildren()

I hope this provided additional details and workarounds to try and solve the problem.

Edit: I don’t think this is really a problem. If it is, you can just unequip the gear, until Roblox gives us the option.

This is impacting me and my local place file as well.

1 Like

This is still happening as of 7/25/22. Please fix this!

1 Like

After thinking about this over a period of a few weeks I’m not sure if this is a bug. Roblox inserts your character model. In a published game, it will look for gears and get them on the catalog and insert your character without them by default. In local place files, that API is not used.

So, I’m not sure if this is a bug or not.

It’s a bug because it’s unexpected behavior, this never started to occur until recently. It’s never been documented or announced, so it is considered a bug until proven otherwise.

They didn’t even have it in the update logs? That sounds unusual for Roblox.

It doesn’t respect the game’s gear settings. It’s definitely a bug.

I don’t think downloaded places have gear settings. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

All datamodels have game settings. Things like avatar scale settings, gear settings, and more are stored in the datamodel.

1 Like

Thanks for the report! We’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

4 Likes

Hi, it’s been over a month - are there any updates on this?

This is still happening as of 9/30/22.

This is very annoying because it messes up my mouse cursor in play mode. Lots of old gear have problems with getting your mouse cursor stuck as that target cursor icon even after you unequip it, and this is annoying to work with in play mode because it makes it difficult to see where the click of your cursor will be + it’s very large visually with the “reloading” text.

2 Likes

@thirdtakeonit Heya! This is still happening as of 10/20/22, almost 3 months later. Could you escalate this please?

2 Likes

Glad to hear it’s related to holding a gear item on your avatar. This bug was killing me. Would love to see this fully resolved. I do a ton of local place testing.

2 Likes

This is still happening as of 12/6/22.

3 Likes

This is still an issue as of 1/16/23. This is very annoying to deal with, could an engineer please look into this?

pls. it has been like 9 months. babies have been conceived and born and my avatar still can’t hold a cool looking sword without it haunting my output every time I play test whatever side project I’m working on.