General tips and advice when it comes to low poly builds?

I really do love the look of low poly builds on Roblox. They’re really pleasing to the eye. Especially when it comes to low poly forests.

I’m interested in practicing creating my own. So what kind of tips can you guys give when it comes to low poly builds?

4 Likes

One main tip is that the details should be limited unlike high poly and realistic builds. It should be more cartoony and bright

4 Likes

If can, try building low poly builds in Blender. It is a very good 3D Modelling app. Here is an example of a low poly well made by me.

Also, you could use plugins in Roblox Studio, to make cool low poly builds.

Remember, low poly builds have like hard and smooth edges at some angles, so don’t try to make everything smooth, or else that will be high poly.

3 Likes

Yo this might be a bit off topic but I’ve always wondered this…
Why do people(including you) texture their blender models? Like it doesn’t even save to roblox like what’s the point? I also see lighting like what’s the point of that either?

3 Likes

I don’t know, but the best guess I can give is that we will texture them so we could have a pre-defined plan on texturing it in Roblox Studio, we don’t just import the whole model in one try, we will separate parts, so we could texture one by one, also you could just flag my comment and DM me privately.

2 Likes

I found this tutorial, you should go check it out.

2 Likes

You should make it look really good in it’s polygons

@ItzMeZeus_IGotHacked

You can import textures made in Blender into Roblox studio via texture maps. You basically convert you texture in Blender into texture map by baking the colors onto a uv map of your object, saving it, uploading it to roblox as a decal, and adding the decal to the object in Roblox Studio. Also interesting choices of colors for that well, quite far from what Grant Abbitt did.

Im biased towards Blender, for a good reason. Roblox studio is limited in how you can model, and Blender isn’t. Roblox Studio is designed for Roblox, while you can use Blender for a plethora of other programs. As you can see someone posted an image of a well that’s the type of low poly you can achieve by watching a tutorial series of 3 parts (https://youtu.be/OlnkGCdtGEw).

Basically, use Blender and watch them we types of tutorials.

this type of plugins will help you lot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqNBPntFRmQ

Please consider to use the search function as similar topics like this have been brought up before and frequently.

Low poly isn’t a (style) it just refers to using a low amount of polygons, since your wanting a more cartoony look the examples shown above are most likely created in an external software and studio here and there. It really depends on if your willing to learn a specific program to create bright vibrant builds to accomplish this theme there’s lots of builds actual games that feature this same theme and a few are just created in studio without external softwares.

If your wanting to create your own models in a cartoony theme use smooth plastic, vibrant colors, and the use of lighting to reflect those colors. You’ll need to learn how to use Blender if your wanting make mesh parts.

Here is some related threads with information when it comes to creating low poly or ‘cartoony style’ builds:

May you show me a tutorial on that in DMs?

Just make it as smooth as possible. Have very bright colours, add a little bit of some darker patches if you’re making something out of stone. Just think of a simulator spawn and try to replicate that for what you have in your head. All I’m saying is to just be creative and build something with the tips I gave you.

1 Like

I dont understand what you are saying.
If you UV unwrap your 3d mesh model, and upload to roblox, it perfectly keeps the colors in game as in blender.

Lighting? well, you can create baking maps, to simulate a “lighting bake” on the model at the same time, so the texture will look even more realistic.

I dont know what u mean that its useless to texturize :v
What would be useless is to upload a model without UV maps, cause the texture wont work… But models without uv’s? I dont see the purpose