Gerstner Wave Module

Gerstner Wave
I’m just uploading modules I made but don’t use because this is a beta feature that I cannot use in my actual games atm, so I guess its a community resource now.

WavesGerstner.rbxl (106.2 KB)

It uses an EditableMesh and edits the vertex of each. There’s the WaveClient script and the GerstnerWave Module. The WaveClient isnt optimized as much but its optimized to the point wheres its kinda infinite. It uses the same editable mesh when you go around. I’m sure I could apply Parallel Lua to it (on wave client). The module should be optimized though.

You can apply this to Meshes with bones as well.

29 Likes

Looks cool! I was playing with Gerstner waves earlier today and this seems like a pretty well-made simple module with a lot of use-cases. Hope you get some traction from this

1 Like

This is super cool!
Thanks for sharing.

I like the boat in the waves.

1 Like

This is one of the best water assets, I’ve seen on Roblox ever. We can all agree that this Wave Module will soon become the standard in many Roblox games.

1 Like

Looks amazing! But with some of the methods now being deprecated, do you plan to update this?

I’ve gotten my system using a simmiliar method to look somewhat nice!

Not sure why but the test place throws this error… anyone got a fix?
Unexpected EditableMesh type. Expected UV, received Position - Client - WavesClient:119

1 Like

This is happening because some of the methods (Like the vertex coloring) is deprecated. You have to use something else like face coloring.

The reflections on the water look very nice! Do you also have depth coloring in the water?

Yeah, I do I link an image below, and I you want to know how to get the reflections just ask.

3 Likes

Are you using the face color method to color the water? Also to get the reflections you need to have certain data in the texture, right? Have you made your own water texture and if so how did you go about it

Check my profile all the things you have asked is there!

you think you’ll update this now that Editable Mesh ahs been updates?