GFX: Which is better - R6 or R15?

I recently started doing GFX and have been experimenting between R6 and R15 models. But, I’m not sure which one is better yet.

Just curious, which one do you prefer, and why? Even if you don’t do GFX, what model do you find more appealing?

• R6
  • R15

0 voters

Edit (4/22/20) : I’m finding this actually very interesting hearing your opinions and reasoning. I’ll show something I recently commissioned, both an R15 and R6 version.

Wack Eh? (FYI, R6 is the one on the left, R15 is the one on the right)

5 Likes

The R15 is more appealing due to the ability to get more curves in the arms and legs as well as getting better detail. R6 is useful if you don’t want to deal with a lot of parts but is generally not very appealing.

3 Likes

I prefer R6 it’s easier. You get a large amount of position still. More consumer use R6 renders over R15. Since it’s still not super popular within the roblox Graphic Design community from what I’ve seen. Its really general preference.

4 Likes

R15 can create problems when bending the limbs, however when you use an R6 model it looks much better because nothing splits

2 Likes

Most GFX artists don’t use R6 or R15, they use a custom Rig, that can bend it’s limbs. You need a R6 Texture to apply to the custom rig, so that’s why people export their characters in R6.

3 Likes

I personally prefer R15 GFX’s since they are more customisable than R6 in a sense.

1 Like

:wave: Hello, I am Administrat0r_J, and I am developing for 2,5 years on this platform.
I saw a lot of games with R6 GFXs, but are R6 GFXs cool? - I think no.
R15 allows you to dive into realism, which can improve quality.
However, to make quality GFX with R15 style, you will spend more time.

R6 GFXs are mostly used in RP games or games like Murder Mystery.

I personally think, that R15 are better.
However, it is a question to you, what will you need, better quality or a lot of time saved?

2 Likes

So, if you’re doing a GFX with Paint RIG then you must use R6 as the Rig will make it work like R15.
If you want to make good looking GFX renders then I’d definitely recommend using the Paint RIG for that you have to use R6 character.
Trust me, it’ll look great.
Here’s an example of a R6 character made using a Paint RIG:

As you can see in the picture above, it looks great with the rig, it even makes it look better than normal R15 Rig.
I hope you get what I mean.
Thank you!

3 Likes

Here’s the link to the PaintRigV3.
NOTE: R6 character must be used in order to make the texture apply properly.

If you have a rig, they always use R6 because it helps you bend limbs way better, R15 is not suggested when doing GFX.

2 Likes

I’ve used that rig in the past but my issue with it is the gaps between the limbs.

If you use the Rig there’s no way you’re gonna have problems with limbs, if you’re having such problems then I’d definitely recommend watching some tutorials on youtube c:
Have a good day!
Thank you!

2 Likes

I disagree. I’ve seen the top GFX artists bending the limbs of Roblox characters even before R15 became a thing. For an artist to catch up to 2020, I wouldn’t recommend using R6. R15 is the better choice. Now, R15 still has its own issues, the best solution would be a custom rig, but you may not have that right now.

1 Like

I believe R6 is better for making graphics. It’s easier, there are only 6 body parts you really need to edit (excluding hats), compared to R15, where you have to worry about the lower hand, the bottom of the torso, feet, etc. In my honest opinion, R6 makes your graphic look more sleekly designed. The character comes out a lot smoother and organized compared to R15. If you don’t want things to get complicated, go with R6.

3 Likes

R6

I’ve used R15 and R6 in the past so I think I can firmly say that I have experience with both. I used to use the R15 rig in 2018 but stopped when I found out you can edit limbs in R6 (Yeah, that first GFX was one of my first ever so that’s why it’s a lil… yknow… bad…). R6 is totallllllllly better in my opinion, because in blender it gives the option to smoothly bend limbs. Here’s an example of 2 of my older GFX;

• R15;
  • R6;
4 Likes

I’ve never seen any top graphic artist on Roblox still using R6. It makes it easier sure, but seriously R15 characters are not that much harder. There are a lot more complicated characters to work with then R15, and it looking a little harder shouldn’t be a reason to shy away from it. And once you really get into it, most people would probably want R15 rather then not. Having that control like being able to bend the lower hand is nice.

The only time I’d recommend not using R15 is if you have a better custom rig.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure ROBLOX only created R15 to make the limbs bend in Studio, since there’s no mesh deformation over there. You can easily bend an R6 limb in other 3D software, so I don’t see the use for R15 in GFX.

edit: i wonder what will happen to r15 once mesh deformation comes to studio

5 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Which is better - R6 or R15? (Discussion)

I prefer R6 because it is easier to make gfx with and there are no weird gaps like in R15.

I said it seemed lazy… that’s my subjective opinion.