.gifs or any other animated images

Hello everyone!

I’d like to suggest making a way to upload any kind of animated images. (e.g .gif)
Why? Well simply because it could be handy for use in GUIs, or just on parts.
An example:

• Fire

Are there any chances of this passing through? Of course the .gifs will be reviewed by moderators and a time limit should apply too.

4 Likes

AFAIK GIFs are not a common standard in game development overall, but that’s beyond the point.

Spritesheets are the way to go and they also have actual Roblox support. Someone else can fill me in on how spritesheets are made on Roblox, or you can google it.

2 Likes

I’ve seen the spritesheets, it’s a good way to solve it, but I think it’s time consuming. I haven’t tried it yet though; so I cannot put a statement there.

There are sites that will take a gif and make a sprite sheet for you. http://gif2sprite.com/ made this for me from your gif. It also dumped out this css which at least has the offsets.

.frame {
background-color: transparent;
background-image: url(sprite-flamesgif16c365f203904a767c63c81069f075e0.png);
background-repeat: no-repeat;
width: 366px; }
.frame-0 { background-position: 0 0; }
.frame-1 { background-position: -732px 0; }
.frame-2 { background-position: -1098px 0; }
.frame-3 { background-position: -1464px 0; }
.frame-4 { background-position: -1830px 0; }
.frame-5 { background-position: -2196px 0; }
.frame-6 { background-position: -2562px 0; }
.frame-7 { background-position: -2928px 0; }
.frame-8 { background-position: -3294px 0; }
.frame-9 { background-position: -3660px 0; }
.frame-10 { background-position: -4026px 0; }
.frame-11 { background-position: -4392px 0; }
.frame-12 { background-position: -4758px 0; }

4 Likes

Oh! That’s rather helpful!
Are those images separated or do I have to do that myself?

1 Like

On the topic of spritesheets, it’d also be nice if Decals/Textures supported them (and also all the other properties they’re missing) as opposed to just ImageLabels/Buttons (what if I want to make a pulsing effect wrapped around a piece of armor?). It’s kind of possible since you can just swap out decals, but that’s not a very clean way to do it.

7 Likes

I uploaded it exactly as it dumped it out, so you’ll have to separate them yourself if you want individual images. There are probably tools that’ll dump each frame as a file, I just went to the first “gif to sprite sheet” link I found and sprite sheets are, by definition, just one image.

1 Like

OK thanks! :smiley:

1 Like