Give a warning when playing a R15 animation on a R6 character

When a developer tries to play a R15 animation on a R6 character, nothing happens and there is nothing to indicate why. I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out what I was doing wrong until I finally figured out that my character had to be set to R15 for it to work.

What I’m suggesting is at least a warning in the output that tells you if you’re playing the animation on the wrong kind of character.

9 Likes

To clarify, you needed to set Humanoid.RigType to R15 even if the character had the R15 limbs but had RigType set to R6?

No that’s not what I’m talking about. If you simply try to play an animation on a R6 character that is meant for R15 it won’t work and nothing tells you they aren’t compatible at run time.

What youre proposing is a warning anytime an Animator object detects missing parts in a rig. This might be a bit cumbersome when dealing with rigs that could potentially have missing limbs/parts. I could potentially see a use when I have ShowActiveAnimationAsset mode on, but otherwise I feel like such a warning would get in the way.

1 Like