As a Roblox developer, it is currently a bit annoying to see how some people react to the platform and I would like to help improve it with a few suggestions.
- Institute a higher account level, similar to the parent account, to users under 18. (Over changing each user for those with multiple accounts)
- Allow said parent account to restrict specifics genre or age ratings
- Allow the option to only chat with friends instead of just everyone and no one
- Allow developers to (real age not account age) age restrict their titles
- Pocket money system. Parents have money but can’t spend it but can give it the child accounts
- Play time restrictions (time played and time playable)
If Roblox is able to address your issue, how would it improve your game and/or your development experience?
It would improve all of our games as I believe that giving parents the confidence in the platform as a whole.
Yes, some games would loose audiences as a result as parents/developers would restrict specific titles/genres but I believe this out ways the possible loss.
Yes, users will lie about their age and could create alt accounts to bypass it but we can look at different methods.
An example of a company doing a similar system is Nintendo with their Switch Parental Controls, as seen in their Switch presentation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03bAayBtcb0
Please feel welcome to give feedback to my idea. Any faults in it and do let me know and maybe as a community we can try and improve the impression for the platform.
Edit: Add a mobile app which allows parents to see, control and analyse their child’s play. This improves communication between the two parties.
Play time restrictions are both soft and hard. By default its soft where it notifies but doesn’t restrict while hard will stop playing instantly. See the Switch presentation for more information
In terms of pocket money, it can be both monthly and one off.