Glowing Decals, Textures, GUIs, etc

This request is for creating a glow effect for gui elements or textures and decals (just like neon bricks)

As a developer I’ve been finding more places in guis, or even just decals and textures in building (Mainly in Guis though) where it would be really cool and useful to have a feature where you can make elements physically glow in appearance, and not just the texture itself having a glow effect, but as if it were a neon brick in gui image, text, or element form. I think this would be a really neat feature that would add a lot more depth to the possibilities in gui design, or texture based design in roblox.

This thought comes to me as i’m currently making a gui scene that resembles space, the nebulae shift and move, but, the image cannot properly glow in places that i’d like them to, such as stars glistening in the distance. Maybe even a light source for guis? I’m not sure, but in this case, having the stars and nebulae glistening with an actual glow, will not only make it feel more illuminated, but will add depth and a layer of realism.

This is an example of the scene i’m talking about:

In play mode, the image twists and shifts, as well as some other layered nebula effects that spin and twist, and there are other effects that play in game such as stars popping up in different places on the screen–the goal being to make it feel like less of an image, and more of actually floating in space, but never-the-less, it would be a really useful tool to make the nebulae glow with some form of light emitter value in the gui properties.

It’s not so much a problem to not have it, more so a layer of gui design that will greatly improve appearance and versatility for guis.

33 Likes

Support!

One trick I use sometimes is that you can often set the colour of a decal or texture brighter than 255, which can make it ‘glow’ - though it’ll still be affected by lighting and is in general pretty limited.

21 Likes