Got scammed by hiring a programmer

According to the comments, it is possible the player left before the profile loaded that’s why that check is there.

2 Likes

So that can be excused, but why the == true?

2 Likes

That could be summed up as personal preference, some people think doing that makes the code more clear. It’s likely this scripter didn’t care about that though and just copied that from the example considering they don’t use thay practice consistently.

3 Likes

The code is actually very standard and not “weird”. He is using valuebases because he is making leaderstats.

1 Like

The code is completely normal, there is nothing “esoteric” about it.

The line that says if player:IsDescendantOf(players) == true is completely valid for checking if a player is still connected since they will be removed from the players service when they disconnect. In fact it is used in the template code that loleris provides with ProfileService.

1 Like

I didn’t know that until bytesleuth mentioned that it was correct. I had never used ProfileService before.

2 Likes

Okay so pro tip: don’t call people’s code “esoteric” and “not sure if he was blinking in and out of sobriety” if you don’t even know what the code you are referring to does.

3 Likes

The person who wrote the code scammed OP out of 20,000 robux after pretending that they could do the scripting they were hired to do. Further, why are you targeting me when other people also made negative comments about the script.

1 Like

This is good! As long as you pay after its completed and not before

Never pay for something they wont let you test/play

How I commission and do commissions is either, half up front, half later and they get to see the entire process, start to finish. Or same thing but they pay in full at the end

while commissioning someone else its pretty much the same and if they arent willing to do it then its probably a scam

remember to ask for portfolios with numerous examples and maybe even place links

3 Likes

If you do it right it can simply only take 6 months before you become decently experienced enough to make a good game. I’m saying from personal experience.

2 Likes

I was able to test/play while he was coding. The issue is that, I didn’t know that you couldn’t reset or rejoin while another player is in the server without breaking the game’s data. I figured this out after he began ignoring me.

2 Likes

thats a crazy bug, dont even know how that would work
if you do test you should always get a friend or the commissionee to join and do rigorous tests

2 Likes

You shouldn’t feel intimidated by the scammer’s code and apparent “5 years of experience.” You can become proficient at programming significantly faster than 5 years. And almost all people on these forums don’t insult people who are actually trying to get better and/ or starting out (this excludes the scammer), so don’t feel afraid to ask for help.

2 Likes

I’m usually that friend, I end up crashing games a lot. One time when I was developing I crashed studio 10 times in an hour :sob:

now you could always get an account rollback, just know that you can only do this once.

3 Likes

It is advisable to have a ToS in order to regulate things exactly and to be legally secure.

That is a really sad thing to hear. I would answer that no, you cannot get refunded, but I am unsure.

As a programmer who got scammed the other way round twice, I established a system so that everything goes as planned.

I personally work with a two times payment. Let me explain the course of action:

• I first get in touch with the person who needs help to know what the project is, and what role I should play in it.

• Then, we discuss about payment details & how much time it would take. I give an estimate of the price. When both parties are ok on the price & the way things will work out, I give out a receipt which has a date & a version number on it. The receipt features details of the transaction.

:warning: I recommend you to NOT pay via robux if possible. If you pay via group funds, DevEx will only let us retrieve ≈ 35% of the money in local currency, which is quite awful. If you pay via gamepass, you may be asked to pay the price to overcome the 30% tax that ROBLOX takes on gamepass purchases, making it either more expensive for you, or less beneficial for the developer. I would personally recommend paypal as a solution, although it has its own quirks.

• Eventually I ask for the first downpayment. I get around 35-40% of the overall price because of the previous scam experiences I have. This value may vary depending on who you want to hire.

• I proceed to work on the part of the project I’m involved with, on a place I own to avoid scripts copies. I personally give updates to it, it is a good thing to do. The baseplate is open for the customer in play mode only.

• When I finished, I let the customer play & say if there are things they want redone whatsoever. The price may be adjusted based on the demand (if it’s too much to change).

• If the customer is happy, I get the 2nd payment (that’s what I do since I got scammed, others may give the place first AND THEN get paid, again that may vary) and then I give the place file. I help them my implementing the scripts within their games since they are mostly not familiar with scripts & how/where to put things.

NB: I always issue another receipt in case pricing changed due to adjustments

Never let the other party decide for you. If they do not want to make any concessions, you should NOT continue with them and make all the concessions.

I recommend you to work with people that seem organized and serious. I also highly highlight something, someone who is -18 is GENERALLY not trustworthy enough for a job. Understand the word “generally”, some do their job perfectly. A lot of them will just drop you out.

Eventually, if you can get a written contract, that would be lovely.

I tend to work outside of ROBLOX’s ruleset because, in my personal opinion, it doesn’t protect anyone from being scammed. Even the fact you switch to DS to discuss things is something you theoretically (according to them) not do, which I can understand, but I also find it really ridiculous.

2 Likes

cancel the scripter on twitter. Simple.

1 Like

First off, I would like to warn you that I’m not a law expert. I absolutely do not study law, therefore keep in mind that I may be wrong.

I would say you should sign up a contract for this. Again, that depends on your local legislation. However I am unsure about this specific case. I do not know if this works well with ROBLOX’s terms of services, and how places are treated according to the TOS.

If both of you have a valid legal age to make a contract, then you would need to cover a lot of terms. Your local legislation may also cover written agreements via messages, as long as both parties agreed to something, making you able to sue the other party in case something happens.

ROBLOX won’t probably do anything about breach of contracts anyway.

I know some game developers who might want to tell me whether or not they are held by contract for their game. I don’t know if they would be willing to discuss this though.

1 Like

Would I not just be able to DMCA them if my assets were in their game?

Like if your assets are not in the toolbox, and they’re used in the game, will the game get deleted?