Granting audio access to games doesn't work part 2

ok for some reason i cant put this in engine bugs so i gotta do it here i guess

Reproduction Steps
Make a new audio and try to share it with a universe and save changes.

Expected behavior
I expected the changes to save and the audio to successfully share with experience.
Many other users in this game have shared their audios successfully with the game so I expected mine to do the same.

Actual behavior

It throws this weird error which I haven’t seen other users report both on and off the forum and I can’t figure out how to get around it on my own. It throws this after saving changes and does so repeatedly after doing common sense troubleshooting. I’m just wondering what causes this error and how to get around it as its fairly unspecific and haven’t seen much on it.

Issue Area: Create website
Issue Type: Other (audio)
Impact: Low (detrimental!ly annoying)
Frequency: Constantly
First date experienced: 11/26/2023

1 Like

I think you should privately message @Bug-Support if you dont have access to the bug report category.

Do they got team create permission?

3 Likes

I’m not sure, but many normal users like me have successfully shared their audio (it’s for a custom death sound feature), so it should be working fine but it’s throwing that error.

1 Like

I think they have to give you team create or something for it.

2 Likes

They shouldn’t. How would they have given hundreds of people team create? That’s not how audio sharing works unless roblox made an update for that or something.

1 Like

No, like the owner of the game you want to share it with has to give you team create.

3 Likes

That’s not how it works, and afaik it never was, again unless roblox updated it. If that’s the case, I ask that you link the update article to me. Even if it was how it works, then as I said before, if the owner (who has been offline for about a year now) had to give you team create permissions to share audio (which makes no sense), how would one go about giving all of those hundreds of users team create? First off, the game would be completely griefed, and second, there’s no way that many people would have been given team create permissions. Understanding that, could you provide another explanation for this error? It’s extremely annoying and I want to know what is going on.

1 Like

I think you need to have the correct role in the group that published the audio, it’s a byproduct of this infamous update:

You can read more about granting permission here:

3 Likes

I understand that, but I uploaded the audio myself. Why is it even throwing this error then?

1 Like

My apologies, I was trying to say that someone with permissions for the game (not the audio itself) needs to approve it. Obviously, a random player cannot change what audios Arsenal can use, 'cause otherwise they could make a game completely silent by removing all it’s audio permissions, but I understand how it could be frustrating after the Audio Privacy update because all you want is your audio in the game.

Taken from Audio Assets | Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub

If you are qualified to grant permission to the new experience — for example if both experiences are owned by you or groups you belong to — the Grant All Permissions option grants the new experience permission to use the private audio assets.

You need to get one of the developers for the game to give it permission to use the asset, but the way you’ve worded makes it sound like you just need to have the correct group role to edit the permissions.

I see, but that doesn’t really make sense. How would they individually approve hundreds of random peoples’ audios? It would make more sense for a setting to just allow private audios for that certain feature, which is more than possible and is most likely what is done. But what I’m getting at is that it throws that error when I try to share it with the game, which means that either audio sharing is blocked for that experience, or roblox has a very annoying bug. I don’t think it’s the former, since everyone elses’ audio still works. This is extremely annoying, I understand that the audio update was necessary, but the implementation is just so terrible since I am still experiencing issues with it after more than enough time. The error message could at LEAST be a bit more specific about telling me what the issue is, and rather it probably shouldn’t even be happening.

What frustrates me is that all the users who have no special or different permissions have their audios functioning perfectly fine while mine is not. The only requirement for having custom audio is the gamepass, which I have, and then you go in-game and enter the asset id for the audio to use it, with it telling you to share your audio with the universe by entering the universe id into the panel shown in my screenshot. I did all of this, except the final part where the error is stopping me. It shouldn’t be a problem on my end, so I guess the owner doesn’t allow audio sharing anymore? That doesn’t make sense though, because it shouldn’t matter if a user shares their own audio with the game because the game doesn’t have to use it if they don’t want to.

What is the game? It sounds like the owners check gamepass purchases and grant permissions off of who buys them, but it could be that you need to message them first. I am just pointing out what Roblox officially says, and they say that you need to have the correct permissions to give a game the permissions to use an audio.

The documentation is still super unspecific and shows examples of other cases but doesn’t show this error. I’m not trying to use someone else’s audio, and I think the case scenario being shown in the documentation is when you try to create a new experience with private audio which the audio uploader hasn’t shared permission with; essentially, I don’t think that example being shown in the documentation is the one that I’m dealing with. I’m trying to share my audio that I uploaded, so I obviously have permissions from my audio, and I don’t see where the documentation states that a developer has to approve me sharing my audio with the game. That just doesn’t make sense and I’d like to see where that feature or process is on the developer’s side, if that’s the case, since the documentation doesn’t elaborate on either of these things.

1 Like

It’s called rBreach by ancientroboman: SCP rBreach - Roblox

1 Like

Exactly. There shouldn’t be a need for developers to manually approve each audio when they can just check when an asset ID is inputted into the text box. It clearly tries to use the audio, since when I input my audio asset ID into the box, I see in the console that it tries to load the audio upon death, but it fails to since I am unable to share my audio with the game due to the error when trying to share the audio.

btw, I’m agreeing that this should be automatic; the game should just check to make sure you own the gamepass when you input your asset ID into the box then attempt to load the audio upon death, assuming you were able to successfully share your audio with the game to make sure it is able to load the audio.

1 Like

“If you are qualified to grant permission to the new experience — for example if both experiences are owned by you or groups you belong to …”

I dunno, to me it pretty clearly says that you need to have permissions given to you by the developers to be able to add audio permissions to a game.

This is all because of that audio privacy update to reduce how much copyright infringement was going around because of that hundred million dollar lawsuit they got served by some national union of music production or whatever it was called. This was the compromise: restrict audio usage to improve moderation at some later date, or get shut down.

Three months after it slapped Roblox with a $200 million lawsuit alleging “rampant” copyright infringement , the National Music Publishers Assn.

1 Like

I have no clue then how the developers were able to manually approve so many custom audios into the game, especially when there is no prompt for them since this error make me unable to even attempt to share the audio with the game. That’s why I asked earlier how this looks on the developer side, and if there is a setting to allow/disallow audio sharing with the game.

This is all because of that audio privacy update to reduce how much copyright infringement was going around because of that hundred million dollar lawsuit they got served by some national union of music production or whatever it was called. This was the compromise: restrict audio usage to improve moderation at some later date, or get shut down.

I get that, but the game already automatically loads player audio when an asset ID is inputted (or rather attempts to, the console shows a thrown in-game error when trying to load an unshared audio). This clearly isn’t the developer failing to manually approve my audio either, because the error immediately stops me from even attempting to share it with the game; it doesn’t send an approval request or anything. You also don’t need to directly ask the developer to put it in the game, simply because there is no system for this and also way too many users for manual requests (just try me I know). The only plausible explanation I’m thinking is that there is a new setting which disables audio sharing whatsoever, which still doesn’t make sense since there are private audios still being used by people in the game, or that this is still an annoying bug, or some other explanation or new feature I’m unaware of (correct me again if I’m wrong).

1 Like

I’m relatively certain there isn’t, that sort of feels like it would just sidestep everything that was changed the audio privacy update. Who would be complaining boomboxes wouldn’t work anymore when it’s just a simple toggle on the developer’s side to make them work again?

A few months ago I tried to use a custom audio for the game Arsenal - it has a “megaphone” emote that lets you input an audio ID. An intended element of the game that you could have wasted money on because you can buy it with an in-game currency that can be bought for Robux… Surprise surprise, it wouldn’t play because it needed someone on the development team to manually approve it.

1 Like

How come people are still using their own shared private audios then? Is it just new attempts to share that are being blocked? I would imagine I’d be seeing more frustration with this then, though I haven’t been very active.

I’ll go try Arsenal and see if it works

Unless there is something I am missing, the developers would have had to approve their audio. Maybe they have a bot that automatically approves player-submitted audio, and you just need to submit it somewhere?

Oh yes, there was plenty frustration when this came out. More than 4000 replies on the original thread, lots of them pretty upset. There were a ton of YouTube videos too.

1 Like