As a Roblox developer, it is currently hard to block out maps while knowing the scale of the map being constructed. During development it is really important to know the scale of the parts in the map. Plastic and the other current materials are not optimal for this use case.
Create a “Texture” object and place it on each face of a part with a custom grid texture.
- You end up with six texture instances per part in your blocked out world.
- Textures often align incorrectly part-to-part and face-to-face.
A new material type named “Grid”.
- Textures align to worldspace meaning they more often line up.
- Does not require 6 texture instances parented to each part to cover all the faces. Makes for a much cleaner workspace.
- Easier to convert blocked out development maps to production maps. No longer would you have to write a script to destroy all the development grid textures.
- Would be much more straightforward to apply to part, mesh or union.
Example model with a similar texture to the one I have in mind for this material: Grid texture - Block (Tiled) - Roblox
As you can probably tell, this is quite a common texture to have in a game engine/level design environment. So it would be quite nice to have this in Roblox too.
- Yes, I want this prioritized over other features
Are you using similar textures? Would you have a use case not mentioned here?