Guitar Instrument Simulator

Hey! I’ve been a musician for 8 years and I’ve also been with Roblox since mid 2015. I first opened studio in late 2016, and for 2024, I want to develop a game inspired by my passion for music. I’ve written down some game design in a notebook and I’ll translate it here:

1) Game Flow/Progression
Players will start off in a workshop where they will manufacture instruments. Players will receive orders to make custom instruments (includes body shape, finish, hardware, et cetera).

I’ve also came up with the idea of having the orders be shipped. Shipments can be done via automobile, plane, train, and ship. One concern of mine is how this will profit the player.

Employees can be hired to take orders, ship orders, and possibly managers can be included in some way. I’ve thought of adding the ability to have multiple workshops for ultimate expansion, and allowing customization and upgrades to workshops.

I also would like to incorporate a storyline. And the ability to play instruments in studios. I have not thought this through fully and ideas would be appreciated.

I also want to incorporate some sort of competition between players. Any ideas/advice would be much appreciated.

2) Guitar Manufacturing Flow
For those wondering, I want the manufacturing process to look something like this:

1. Body shape and wood type is chosen
  2. Paint/Finish is applied to guitar
  3. Hardware/customizations is assembled
  4. Any finishing touches (ex strings)

This is my absolute bare-bone game concept. I have not come up with much and I feel like there’s a lot of missing pieces. I’m currently starting an MVP (Minimum Viable Product)

I am looking for other developers advice, ideas, tips, et cetera. I want to hear what people have to say. I am especially in need for help in developing a stronger concept, how I should program the game, and the steps I should take in order.

I also am really stuck on how I will make an order system. Where orders appear on the board and players/NPC workers take them and make the order. I’ve never explored this idea and I am clueless on where to start.

This idea sounds pretty solid, but let’s find out where to continue with.

You will work it like a software engineering project and need those tools provided by project management, which have proven to be working and are active in the industries. However, these tools should not be used all at once, you need to select tools that fit your current framing of the entire project. There are some that could be potentially fundamental and some other tools that is niche.

Whenever you are working on a project, you have to know that your developers are part of the project and have different backgrounds and experiences, which could make or break the project. With proper management, you can possibly make an impression.

Inspirations of other games and how they are successful can be a good place to research about how games generally work too to supplement your concepts further.

Be careful of over-engineering, things can waste time if you overthink it too much.

There are possibly more tips than these I have provided as far as I know. The possibilities may be endless, but your decisions and choices over the project is what defines the continuity.

1 Like