[Gun Modeling] M4A1 Low Poly Model

M4A1

I’m finally back after being inactive in modeling since March 2021, my bad lol

This was supposed to be finished by the end of March but I got very demotivated to model after finishing a bunch of other modeling commissions but its finally done

Expect more models in my new style coming soon

I also want to get more into animating to make a test place for these guns so they can finally be put in the spotlight

Previous model link : [Gun Modeling] M4PDW Low Poly Model

M4A1 :

Twitter : https://twitter.com/JahoboW
Discord : jart#8026

8cyl

24 Likes

I don’t think that this is a ‘low poly model’ cause it looks so good and has much detail, good jog!

5 Likes

It appears to be mid-poly. Good job on it!

4 Likes

I love the whole gun model especially the detail on it, good job!

3 Likes

I love the low-poly style but I think that the small details such as the engravings could also have been their own darkened texture instead of being part of the mesh. That way, if used in game, it could save performance and truly be low-poly. I also suggest really going cheap on some of the tiny parts such as the front sight where you didn’t have to model the little thing that extends below it and all of the different bolts on the carry handle.

2 Likes

thanks for the feedback i have some questions and answers to this though

1. what “engravings” are you referring to

2. i don’t go cheap when i model and tend to add as much details as I can as being in this community, people pick out the little things that matter more than you think (and obviously why would i start removing important parts of the gun) this isn’t some simulator gun model

3. if the person commissioning my guns asks for optimization i will do that but right now it doesn’t need to be optimized as these won’t be added in game

4. just because it’s low poly doesn’t mean you need to heavily optimize your gun by removing important parts of it low poly can be a style and a way to optimize your model

2 Likes

Glad you’re back and you’ve recovered a bit from your burnout, I’ve missed your models.

I’m a bit confused as to what this is, however.

Doesn’t seem to be on the second one and I don’t believe I’ve seen anything like it.

1 Like

It probably be a Railing for Attachment or Sight.

3 Likes

Engravings, such as the small protrusions in the foregrip. Secondly, it isn’t exactly low-poly if it has, say, more than 1500 polygons maximum. The low-poly style does not come from the fact that the cylinders and round edges are less defined, it comes from the lack of detail that lets your brain fill in the spots. From my perspective, I contradicted myself here because I once said that if something is styled low-poly it would be forgivable. The low-poly style is also about representing an object without taking so many polygons to do so and your model distracts the eyes with small details. I appreciate your reply, though.

I feel like you’re over thinking this, low poly in my definition (and in a majority of low poly modelers) can range all the way up to 10k tris. It doesn’t need to have that stereotypical blocky look to it

Ex.

1500p is extremely low for gun modelers, even for low poly modelers who make pistols

Ex. of other low poly m4a1s

Obviously everyone is different but you should look into Ownagesauce.

He’s a low poly modeler but his guns greatly differ in style from some with little to no detail like the ones in Apocalypse Rising 2 to more detailed guns he had posted (that are still lowpoly) in the Offical Blender discord and Maximillian or Devdudes discord

2 Likes

I have checked out ownagesauce’s weapon models and I can say that I like them very much. They are low-poly where they should be and higher-poly when contrast is needed. I also understand your point on the differing style, but I just want to make a remark that it’s low-poly styled, not low-poly. I also like the low-poly style a bit more than actual low poly sometimes because it can define a model’s intricate details further. Thank you for listening in, I just want to let you know.

Let’s try not to continue this endless low-poly debate…

Wait so if you like the low poly style more than literal low poly modeling, why did you suggest that I have less tris/faces in my model and remove important details from it

I’m sorry for continuing this but I need to understand what you’re trying to get at because you keep contradicting yourself

“contradicting yourself”, look, I am simply trying to give criticism. It appears that you aren’t happy with taking criticism because you are defending a singular point that I already discussed. I also don’t see “Low-poly styled”, I only see “Low-poly”, isn’t it a bit ironic how you say that I contradicted myself after all?