Gyroscope & Accelerometer Support for Gamepads

As a Roblox developer, it is currently impossible to get the gyroscope & accelerometer inputs for gamepads (yes, I am aware that these APIs work for mobile devices).

To get straight to the point, the title says it all.

Some use-cases include tilting the gamepad to control vehicular steering, pulling up the control fast to jump & avoid obstacles, or even possibly controlling in which direction the camera looks at and control where the character faces. Feel free to add some use-cases below!

I think this would allow for some really cool creations.

Edit: It turns out some controllers do have gyroscopes, but only DualShock 4 controllers (or PlayStation)

Source: https://www.gamingscan.com/dualshock-4-vs-xbox-one-s-controller/

14 Likes

A quick Google search shows this isn’t a common feature. Although cool, it will lock quite a few people out from using it.

Source: https://www.windowscentral.com/steam-controller-versus-xbox-one-gamepad

I definitely advocated for @AlreadyPro to make this thread. I didn’t realize this wasn’t standard in all modern controllers!

Well if we ever get PlayStation support, then this thread will be very relevant!

2 Likes

It’s basically standard in anything except Xbox.

3 Likes

Guess we gotta postpone this feature request until we get support for other gamepads ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I apologize for the egregious necro-post but it seems like this thread is finally very relevant!

I’m currently working on a cross-platform shooter and I’d love for my mobile gyro aiming controls to be available to PlayStation users! The Nintendo Switch uses this feature for a few games and I’ve been in love with it ever since.

3 Likes

I’ve been playing Roblox and various other games using my PlayStation 5 controller and Steam Deck using gyro via just emulating keyboard inputs, and oh man I would much rather be playing Roblox using it rather than just using sticks to control my camera.

Gyroscope support for games have increased in popularity today than it was 5 years ago. Games such as Fortnite, Call of Duty: MWIII (2023), Call of Duty: Warzone 2, God of War Ragnarok, Genshin Impact, THE FINALS, every Splatoon game, and more have support for gyro-based camera/aiming controls. It would be awesome if there was at least some sort of API to get gyroscope/accelerometer information, so devs could implement their own type of gyroscope implementation, or even optional gyroscope camera controls for every game.

1 Like