Haptic Feedback Toggle in Settings

As a player, I find that Haptic Feedback is inconsistent while playing Roblox games with different controllers. (both controllers work as expected on other games outside of Roblox)

For instance, here’s the expected haptic feedback on a native Xbone controller:

And now here’s the haptic feedback for a PC and Xbone third-party controller:

(it continues rumbling for three seconds after too)

Now regardless if the intense HF on the third-party controller is a bug or not, the reason for this thread is that there’s no way to disable/reduce HF in Settings on PC.

This is a fairly important accessibility issue, and considering the PC and XBone third-party controller is something I’m sure a lot of people get (it’s half the price, and if a kid is looking to play Roblox on either xbox or PC, seems like the smart choice), it must be affecting more people than me.

I’m asking that in the settings, HF be referred to as “Controller Vibration” or something that isn’t Haptic Feedback as many non-devs don’t know what that means:

Of course, devs are urged to allow players to disable HF on their own games, but I’d much rather have an option to change this in Settings as it’s a Roblox-wide issue, not per-game issue.

(Thank you @Ravenshield for finding this demo for me)

32 Likes

This is a basic accessibility feature that should certainly be considered.

12 Likes

Currently considering adding Haptic Feedback to a project of mine, but would need to make a setting for it as I’d like to give players the choice of having it. This isn’t much of an issue, easy enough to code and I’ve already got an options menu set up. However, having a Roblox-wide setting for controller vibration would be great.

I personally don’t like Haptic Feedback, but I feel it should be the players choice if it is in a game at all. There is little need for a button if it’s barely used. It could be viewed as clutter. I’m guessing that’s the hiccup with adding this feature.

2 Likes

Bumping. Recently some accessibility settings were added to the Roblox in-experience menu settings. In the post it asks what other accessibility settings would like to be seen, and I think a haptic feedback toggle/reduction would be great to add.

Maybe @BitwiseAndrea hasn’t seen this yet and/or could comment about this.

For an update on my previous reply, I implemented haptic feedback a while ago and have a toggle for it in my options menu. Again, not challenging to do, but should really be on a Roblox-level. I’d assume that’d involve checking if the device can use HF, then toggling the option in the settings based on that.

3 Likes

This is even more important now with the PlayStation rollout and more prevalence of games that have haptic feedback, as some games have badly designed haptic feedback which can be very destructive to your user experience.

@roasmblox I think you might be able to get something like this considered?