Have been learning low poly in blender the last few days - Could use some feedback on my creations!

This is about my 4th(ish) day using blender and I just wanted to know how my models could be improved etc etc

All of my creations so far

A lamp post I designed yesterday (kinda proud of this one)

A Pickaxe and Sword I created recently, I know they’re not very good so if anyone has any ideas on how to sculpt the tools better please let me know

A Tent I designed earlier today. The plan is to create a table with some things like potions, coins, etc laying on it and have it become a merchant’s tent

21 Likes

To be honest it looks nice, especially the design and detail on each of the models! I don’t really see anything to change from the tree, tent, and the weapons.

:+1:

1 Like

Lamp post trumps them all. The interior of the tent has shadow problems as you can see and I think your sword (dagger?) is certainly too dull. Pickaxe is fine but looks a bit sharp in comparison to the rest of the art style. Tent looks oddly crumpled.

Wholly, I’d say good job but take further consideration of how smooth everything should look.

3 Likes

I agree with the blade being too dull, i used a cylinder and just flattened it a bit to create the shape. Any tips on how to make a more realistic/sharp blade?

If this is in Roblox can you help me import the colors? I am very confused right now because I have my models and I import them to studio but everytime I try to add the colors it makes the whole mesh a certain color and I don’t want that because I want the colors for each part not the whole mesh.

1 Like

I can personally say honestly, you did a very impressive job in your low poly.
It really is recommendable to be placed in a mining game!
Hope to see you keep on your development

1 Like

\Good job! I’m not sure if it’s just the lighting/angle of the picture but it looks like the pickaxe has an inverted mesh for the handle. That can be fixed by either by:

1. adding a solidify modifier
  2. Selecting the entire mesh > Hitting F3 > Type in “Recalculate” then clicking on recalculate normals.

I’d suggest doing #2 though since it doesn’t add in extra faces.

Create a texture map of the object, upload it to Roblox as a decal, and apply it to your model, or you can simply separate the objects by color and then import them that way

and @IEATPOOPOO278 Something I would change with the tent is adding supports or something to the interior, as it just looks like there is nothing to support that lantern hanging in the center, and also keeping the shape of the fabric the way it is.

I decided to create something real quick to show what I speak of,

on the inside have a wooden pole in the center, and then a probably a wooden band or block to keep the fabric with that circular shape, and then put the lantern on a post which sticks out from the pole

And another thing that I just noticed (I think someone mentioned it with the pickaxe) is that the normals are incorrect.

Those are the only incidents I can find of it, the tent poles and the handle of that pick (there may be more).

How to fix it:
Open the project in Blender,

click that,

And select Face Orientation, from there your models will change to the colors blue, and red. LIke such:

Select all the red faces visible to the player, look up “Flip Normals” in the F3 search menu, and click. That will change the normals to the correct side, and thus turn blue in the viewport. Blue is good, red is bad. Having incorrect normals results in the unfortunate ability of you being able to see through the model, not good.

1 Like

Hello! I’m @Lil_SharkyBoy a barely new 3D Artist just like you! I been a 3D Modeler on the platform and in total time just for only and almost 3 weeks and the progress I got maybe is a little impressing, you can see my profile where I linked my Twitter and my portfolio if you want to see my work.

Anyway, my opinion here will be a little useless, but you can always improve the shapes. Like the dagger or sword can be a little bit sharper and you can have some better realism. You can always try better and complex shapes to achieve a better look and for this you can use the “Subdivision Modifier” to make some smooth and better shapes, easy to manipulate (if you don’t apply the modifier) and it looks pretty good.

Anyway, like I always says, you can look at the real life and see how the shapes, the tools and all you’re wanting to make are made or how they look to have a better reference that just having a old memory of the tool and try to recreate it.

Have a nice day and never give up mate! - @Lil_SharkyBoy

1 Like

I have to say that your low poly builds in blender look so wonderful. Probably fits for an adventure game.

1 Like

Thank you so much for pointing out the pickax handle I never noticed that! I’ve been looking for a tutorial on how to properly flip the normals for a while but i couldn’t find anything until you just showed me, Appreciate it a lot man.

and yea I’m not entirely finished with the tent I reused the lamp from my lamppost as a placeholder as you can see, I’ll edit this message with a screenshot whenever I fix up the tent!

EDIT:
I fixed up the pickaxe normals and changed it a little bit

Fixed the tent poles normals and added an interior support beam to hang the lantern from

1 Like

Basically what @1up31 said, I’m still learning blender and don’t know how to export the texture map from blender so I just export the pieces separately using the “Selection Only” menu when exporting. The build will import to your game in the exact same position as it was in blender so you don’t lose the actual shape of it

1 Like

Yes it did! Not sure how I didn’t realize that thank you

if you scroll down to one of my comments I posted a minute ago you can see the updated version of it where I fixed the handle

1 Like

Hello!

I like the colors, the style and the shapes.

I’m not sure if this was mentioned, but there was just one error I immediately spotted after looking through the pictures.

Other than that, everything seems fine.

Conveniently I discussed how to export image textures here: Help with Blender texturing - #3 by 1up31

1 Like

Honestly no complaints, If I hired you as a modeller I’d be the opposite of disappointed! tbh the Pick and sword are nice, however the handle of the pick is a bit lacking of detail. I highly recommend you keep working and perhaps find a game to work on (your own showcase , an adventure / rpg game , etc.)

3 Likes

Thanks for the kind words! my plan is to continue making models and updating my current ones then make a showcase type game and try to see if I can’t get some work lol

1 Like

For only knowing low poly for a few days, this is good.

However, I see an error with the cloth (i think) on the outside of the tent:

Are you currently for hire? If you are add my discord -5#5999