Having a Character Limit when creating post

Before I proceed to explain this, just understand I don’t know if there is a character limit when creating a post. (I will not attempt to create a one-word post because I do not want to break any rules)

Sometimes on DevForum, you would see some of these forums that have a few sentences and sometimes won’t even have a photo that indicates what the writer is talking about. Most of the time these are considered spam posts. So a solution to this is to report the post to have it taken down right?

Perhaps a way to decrease the number of spam reports is by creating a character limit. Just like when replying to someone, you would need at least 30 characters at minimum. Perhaps add this limit to creating topics?

If there is already a character limit I suggest increasing it. (Not too much though)

Every reply must be meaningful, contributive, and on-topic. Do not re-post what others have already said, do not post memes or single-word posts such as “First!” or “bump”, and put effort into your posts.

Even the official rules indicate that forum posts should have some sort of effort when creating a post. By increasing the character limit on creating a post (if it already exists) or adding this feature, (if there isn’t a feature like this) then it will help decline the number of spam post and there will at least be some sort of effort being used to write a post.

I already made this request: Increase the character limit for thread bodies

2 Likes

Yes! There is already a character limit. I tried making a long post and it stopped me from posting it.

If you’re talking about a minimum character count, which is not a limit, we have one at 30 characters for replies and 10 for topics.

And this also already has a feature request. :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah, it exists already, but people always try to bypass it with using 30 charrrrrrrrs or something similar, so increasing it would make that “bypass” even longer. I think a better option is having an AI to detect such bypasses and disregard it in terms of character count.

1 Like

My bad! I tried to search up to see if topics about this was already made and I didn’t see it popup. I apologize for that. :sweat_smile:

The character limit on topics not replies, is 10 minimum, it is way shorter on topics

1 Like