High Sierra Issues Makes Studio Unusable

In general, Studio has been freaking out and doing some strange stuff after updating to High Sierra.
These things include:

• Not updating the explorer when you select, deselect, delete, add or change any object
  • Mouse pan doesn’t smoothly follow mouse
  • Scrolling in menus becomes very slow

Usually this all begins to happen at the same time. I am using two monitors:
13 PM

The only way to stop it from happening is to go to another desktop on the same monitor and interact with another application, or completely close Studio and open your place again. This issue seriously impedes my development experience, and lengthens the time it takes me to get things done because I can’t see what I am immediately doing.

I am on macOS High Sierra (10.13.1) using a 2017 Retina 4K iMac with the Radeon Pro 560 4 GB graphic card installed. When this issue doesn’t happen, Studio runs really well and I don’t have any issues.

3 Likes

Do you ever have the text editor type really slow too?

Don’t hold you breath for any Mac fixes buddy.

No I don’t have issues with the text editor.

This is exactly what i’ve been having

1 Like

We are still working on improvements to our system to work with High Sierra. Hang tight.

7 Likes

Any updates? Development on Mac is horrible as of this latest update. Everything got like three times worse. For example, Local Test Server now doesn’t do anything. There must be a memory leak somewhere as well.

1 Like

More time passes by without a fix. I recently got a Mac and I’m experiencing many of the same issues such as lag in general. Lag moving around windows, super laggy script editor. Is there any updates at all for this? Surely this has a high priority since it affects many users and makes using studios a not so desirable experience. And changing the color profile isn’t a very pleasing ‘fix’.

1 Like

What kind of Mac do you have? And what is this solution?

Here ya go fam:

It makes colors a bit less vibrant/bright because it’s definitely not as great as the default color profile imo. But it does make studios much less laggier and usable so it’s alright for a temporary solution.

Edit;
I have a 2017 Macbook Pro 15" 512gb Radeon pro 560

Thanks, that fixed some FPS issues I had in-game. Studio is still kinda bumpy for me. I’m on a top-spec 2017 iMac 21.5" with a 24" monitor attached.

So in my experience using Studio on High Sierra, you can use Studio normally and it runs perfectly for about 30 seconds and then it is downhill from there. The panning of the camera becomes very choppy and scrolling becomes super slow and has some sort of latency. Once I switch to another app and go back to Studio, however, it works fine and does the same thing over and over.

I have those issues as well even with the changed color profile. I’m also on High Sierra. @nsgriff

1 Like

I haven’t really said anything about it but this actually has been happening to me for more than three months. Roblox Studio is seriously delayed and laggy especially in quick test where everything just freezes for about 30 seconds. When Studio does that, I just keep pressing Command + Tab repeatedly until Studio wants to stop being slow. Once I go in a script and start editing, there’s no lag whatsoever. It’s when you’re not editing a script. The user experience is terrible at this state. This only happens to Roblox Studio and nothing else. I repeat, this only happens to Roblox Studio and nothing else. I do hope this gets fixed. I’m on High Sierra on the latest version. This never used to happen. I use a MacBook Pro

2 Likes

I’ve noticed that whenever I go into a different application and come back to Roblox my workspace/game view is very laggy but whenever I click into a script editor tab and then click back into the game view it’s perfectly fine… It’s an easy fix but things like this and all the other many bugs relating to studio on MacOS Sierra-High Sierra shouldn’t happen. Especially on such a big platform for a largely adopted MacOS version that’s been out for many, many months by now. Another potential bug I found is that the Script Performance window seems to give inaccurate results for the Rate parameter. It rises progressively and gets into the thousands even with no script activity. This is something that definitely doesn’t happen on my windows version of studio.
Edit; If I do even the smallest changes to the game such as adding a part the game view lags until I go into a script editor tab and back… This is very annoying.

I’d really like to see some sort of an update on this, as I’m sure many others would as well, since it’s been about a month since the last time we’ve heard anything on this and it’s been a problem for at least a year. So I’m going to tag some people that may have some information for it and to attempt to get things moving on this (I don’t doubt that things are being done for it internally but I’d personally like to see more information coming out for it publicly since we’ve been mostly in the dark for months at a time).
@nsgriff @twberg @Silent137 @Nightgaladeld

And I’ll tag some people that may be able to provide some more information pertaining to the bugs encountered in High Sierra/Sierra in studios.
@DeepBlueNoSpace @alexnewtron

Also; I’ve noticed there’s quite a few bug reports related to Sierra/High Sierra not being compatible with Studio making it difficult to find the proper place to give more information for it. It may help to merge them into the proper post/topic.

3 Likes

We’ve been looking into issues with High Sierra, don’t think we’re ignoring this!

We currently have a fix in the pipeline for the slow script editor some users have been reporting.
There’s another issue related to start server/player not functioning that we’re going to look into next.

If you are encountering High Sierra issues, please also include the type of machine, display settings/configuration, as well as any additional specs that may be relevant to your issue. Videos of an issue are also incredibly helpful!

3 Likes

Looks like my issues have been solved. Studio doesn’t have anymore weird choppiness where I would have to baby it to make it work. Seems pretty stable right now.

1 Like

Given its been over a year and a half since this was first an issue, not sure this is true.

Its been slow, but it looks like the end of running a 5K monitor at 1600x900 is finally coming to an end!

You’re correct, I found out shortly afterwards that it was not an “easy fix” because I would have to constantly switch in and out of the script editor each and every time I made a small change to the workspace since it would start lagging again. I downgraded my os back to Sierra and it seems that issue was resolved in process at least. Now I just have the common issues such as the laggy script editor (without changing the color profile to generic RGB)

Edit; As a result of switching back to Sierra now my script editor is laggier than it was on High Sierra (moreso with scrolling) but my game view is fine. But it seems like the wait for the script editor to be fixed is close to an end so that’s good. Currently I’m using sublime to edit my scripts which is working out fine for now.

Computer Information:

macOS High Sierra (Version 10.13.3)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
Processor: 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB
Display: 13.3-inch (2560 x 1600)
Storage: 256 GB Flash Storage

I’m doing videos now, I’ll edit this post when they’re uploaded.

Edit: I seem to not be having issues now. I think the recent studio update fixed it? If I have issues again, I’ll let you know

A fix for the slow typing speed in script on High Sierra is now live. Let me know if you have any more issues on High Sierra.