Highlight instance is never occluded on mobile, even if DepthMode is set to Occluded

Reproduction Steps

PC System information: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i5-11400F @ 2.60GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
Mobile device: Galaxy A32 5G

To reproduce, set a part with a Highlight instance attached and set the Highlight DepthMode to Occluded.

Here is a link to the place I quickly built for this demonstration: Highlight - Roblox

Expected Behavior

On PC this displays properly–a ball with an Occluded highlight will not be visible through this part.

Actual Behavior

On Mobile, the ball shows up on top of other parts no matter what.

This issue could lead to mobile players having an unfair advantage in a multitude of games, by being able to see a highlighted object they weren’t supposed to. In the case of what I was trying to use Hightlights for; I applied them to collectable objects in my game to slightly increase the visibility of them, but I found out that on mobile you could see them from across the map if you looked hard enough.

Issue Area: Mobile App
Issue Type: Display
Impact: High
Frequency: Very Rarely
Date First Experienced: 2022-05-30 12:05:00 (-07:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2022-07-15 00:07:00 (-07:00)

5 Likes

Thanks for the report and sorry for the late reply. A ticket was filed to our internal database and we’ll come back with updates when available.

3 Likes

@gigagiele this is not the only issue with mobile and the highlight instance, it has been narrowed down to the Outline property: