HintService 2.9.5 (Discontinued) | Legacy hints reimagined, customizable, straight-forward, and simple

This is really cool and I like all the utilitarian features it provides! But there were some issues with the source code that I found that you might want to change:

-- Line 507
local isBroadcasted = self.IsBroadcasted

isBroadcasted = true

This will only change local isBroadcasted to true, not self.IsBroadcasted causing cancelBroadcast to fail.

-- Line 518
task.spawn(function()
	animateHint(self)
end)

Use task.defer instead of task.spawn; deferring the thread schedules it to run on the next resumption cycle while spawn runs it immediately. There are very few cases where you would want to run a thread immediately, but animating a hint is not one of them.

-- Line 499
if debounceEnabled then
	if tick() - lastHint < debounceTime then return end
end

lastHint = tick()

tick is on the road to deprecation. time would be a more future-proof global for this.

-- Line 531
if isBroadcasted then
	broadcastCancelled:Fire()
	cancelBroadcast(self)

cancelBroadcast yields but is not ran in a separate thread, causing the running thread to yield as well.

-- Line 137
local borderStroke = label:FindFrstChild("BorderStroke")

Misspelling causing cancelBroadcast break.

My only other issue I have is all the returned methods are in camelCase instead of LuaU-Standard PascalCase, but that’s totally just a nitpick thing with me and I can just fork it anytime.

1 Like

What do you mean by this?

Thanks for the criticism! Will be making patches.

Update

@MagmaBurnsV

I recently deployed an update. Thanks for your patience!

Read More

I have a permanent hint set at the bottom of the screen. When another hint is broadcasted, it gets pushed up. When that other hint disappears, the permanent hint stays pushed up. Is there any way to bring it back down to the bottom?

Sorry, there’s no way to fix this.

1 Like

Update

@firedup13579

Read More

(I added the feature you needed!)

1 Like

That’s wonderful. Thank you so much. This module is amazing!

1 Like

Just set the hint you always want on the bottom to LayoutOrder 1.

How to set the time the hint is shown?

Use setBroadcastTime(false, 5 --amount of time its visible)

Some 2 questions

1. How do you color a text?
  2. The hint disappears when another hint is being shown (Or how do you add another hint than being rewrite the current one)
1 Like

Use themes, they are documented above

Construct a new one and broadcast. They should stack.

1 Like

Update suggestions anyone? It’s been a while!

Allow user to change the YOffset of the bottom hint of the frame otherwise it will overlap by the Roblox’s Backpack Gui

1 Like

Thanks for the report! Will be working on a fix.

Update

@thebrickplanetboy

Read More

Update ideas anyone? I haven’t worked on this for a bit.

Possibly buttons and button callbacks? Maybe move the hint further up if the hot bar is visible?

1 Like

Oh I see, so you want to have clickable hints. Will do; also the setHotbarOffset function will set the offset for you. I could figure how to do it automatically.

1 Like

Update 2.9.5!

@SubtotalAnt8185

Features:

You can now set hints to be clickable, they will act just as buttons act if you set setCanClick(enabled) to true. You can then use the Hint.Clicked event to detect when it was clicked.

Rewrite coming after I finish my framework.

The update log is now deprecated.

1 Like