Hitscan guns vs projectile guns

While I was designing the guns for my game, one of my friends brought up the fact that I was making the guns hitscan as opposed to projectile. He brought up the fact that projectile weapons can provide more realistic weapon physics, such as bullet drop. I already have the bulk of the gun system down, but I’ve been reconsidering if I should change it to projectile.
The main thing that has me on the fence about switching is how the game feels to play. The game is supposed to be a survival game set in the post-apocalypse, with an abundance of single-shot improvised weapons instead of assault rifles or semi-auto pistols. I can’t tell if changing the guns to utilize a projectile system would benefit these type of guns, especially at close-quarters. This has had my head turning for a few days now, any thoughts?

2 Likes

It all depends on the guns, right? You wouldn’t expect a laser pistol to be projectile, ( :nerd_face: well technically in real-life lasers travel at the speed of light so they aren’t instantaneous), it travels instantly. So in many games, they stay hits, but a missile launcher such as an RPG depends a lot on the projectile so it nearly has to be projectile.
Using modules such as FastCast, projectiles have become really simple to set up.

2 Likes

You could potentially combine the two features into one, where the gun is hitscan, but the bullet will move towards the cursor and could drop based on changing the CFrame of the bullet.