Host Your Own Virtual Meetups & Community Events

We’re super excited to share this project the Developer Relations team has been working on over the past year. We have created a program for you to host your own virtual events!

To be clear, this is not live-ops or event experiences but a way to bring communities together to share knowledge, network and start new collaborations in a virtual environment.

So far, we’ve come up with several types of events that you can host; however, we are also open to new ideas! If you know of another type of event, please let us know and we’ll consider making it an official event for the program — just keep in mind that the events you host should revolve around Roblox development. Here’s a list of our current supported events:

:space_invader: Game Jam

Everyone loves game jams, so why not host one? Your game jam could be tailored for your community to create assets for your own game or just a spontaneous game jam between fellow developers for fun.

:gear: Workshops

Share and teach your Roblox development expertise to your audience. It’s up to you what you want to teach your audience, such as teaching others how to build, script, design games, or make 3D models for Roblox games.

:speaking_head: Speaker / Presentation

This event is for hosting a talk or presentation. The topic is up to you, however, you’ll need to have it planned out properly. You could host one to announce a new game, update or feature to a group of people or your community.

:speech_balloon: Panel Discussion

A panel discussion is designed for a group of speakers, typically developers, that will answer and discuss questions from your audience. Great use of this type of event is having the attendees play-test a new game or update and give feedback.

:globe_with_meridians: Virtual

Host events in a virtual environment ranging from all the event types above and new event types such as live lessons where you teach your attendees a topic on Roblox Studio.

:video_game: In-Experience

Host events within your own Roblox experiences and utilize voice chat to bring your events to life.

Why should you host your own events?

• As a way to promote your studio/brand
    • Decorate your event with banners/standing posters of your branding, bring more awareness to what you represent and catch the attention of people outside the Roblox community.
  • Teach others what you wish you knew earlier
    • Pass on your knowledge to a fresh and eager generation of Roblox developers and take an active role in shaping the future of Roblox games.
  • Looks great on a resume
    • The experience and skills you’ll gain from hosting events are invaluable and listing them on your resume will show prospective employers that you have a wide range of knowledge and experience.
  • Learn new perspectives and ways to adapt
    • By staying open to new opportunities and welcoming new ideas, you’ll find there are a million ways to accomplish things. What better way to start than talking to fellow developers at an event you hosted?
  • Meet a lot of great people!
    • Don’t forget to have a little bit of fun too. After all, you determine the way your events run.

What can Roblox do for you?

• Supply a digital handbook to give you insights and support with events.
  • Provide support if you are stuck or need help with your events.
  • Make connections between you and other Event Organizers
  • Scheduled monthly meetings with the program staff, for you to provide us with feedback and for us to check in with how you are doing

To host your own events, you’ll need to apply into the program

If you are interested in attending the events hosted by our developers, you can find a list of upcoming events here

If you have any questions or concerns about this program, please feel free to contact the staff running it here.

If you are unable to message the group, please contact us via email at dev-events@roblox.com and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can!

FAQ

Is this replacing the Roblox Developers Conference?
No, this won’t take the place of RDC!

Is there an age requirement to host events?
Yes, you’ll need to be 16 or older in order to join the program.

Is there an age requirement to attend events?
Yes, you’ll need to be 13 or older in order to attend events. We also welcome chaperones to attend the events for anyone that is 13 or older.

When can we host events?
After you have been accepted into the program, you can start when you are ready and have your first event planned out.

What is the process to become an Event Organizer?

• You’ll start off with a written application. If we like your application we will contact you either through the Developer Forum or via email.
  • The next step is a video submission where you talk a little more about yourself, your goals, the community you are building and where you plan to host events.
  • If we like your video submission we’ll contact you again to setup a video interview where we can get to know you better and go into more detail about your application and video submission. This is a good opportunity to ask us any questions you may have.
397 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 10 minutes.

Woah, this sounds exciting! Good luck to anyone who’s applying!

Are there any specifics on what you need to do to qualify as a Roblox developer? Is all you need to know to qualify is to learn how to use print? Must you have a popular game to be accepted?

These regions target the Americas and Europe, but what about those living in Asia, Africa, and Oceania? Will they be forced to host virtual events, or fly to the other side of the world?

So what happens if you’re declined? Will you still receive an email from Roblox? Will you get a second chance; will you consider applicants who were declined the first time?

For a change of pace, this is an amazing opportunity. I’m a very bad public speaker, so I probably won’t host an event anytime soon… but I encourage anyone who wants to participate to apply!

45 Likes

Wow, so cool that my predictions came true! A few questions about this exciting new program:

• Will the event organizer group members become publicly visible? It says in the description that the group was created for developers to find organizers.
  • Will developers ever be allowed to add their own chapters? Right now there are only 13, with none of them near me.

Is there an age requirement to attend events?
Yes, you’ll need to be 13 or older in order to attend in-person events. We also welcome chaperones to attend the events for anyone that is 13 or older.

• Does this mean that <13 developers can still attend online events?

EDIT: Does this also mean that the Creator Dashboard and/or Talent Hub is coming soon? These community features were some of the most exciting things from RDC.

EDIT2: I’m glad this won’t replace RDC. Hopefully, this update will provide better infrastructure so if it needs to be virtual again, Roblox will already have an online videoconferencing system in place.

11 Likes

Is there a reason that the event site is hosted at https://rbx.com/ instead of the main Roblox domain? Lots of people try to stay away from suspicious links, and having lots of different official Roblox domains makes it easier for people to pass of fake ones as official. It looks like events.roblox.com is already a different thing, (with no HTTPS), but there doesn’t seem to be anything significant hosted on it.

(People had this same issue with https://robloxdev.com, and I thought that’s why it was moved to https://developer.roblox.com, but apparently not.)

42 Likes

That’s pretty cool. I would like to attend one event and see how it look will look like. Also, why do I have to be over 16 to host events? Is it because of maturity? Also thanks for making this program!

8 Likes

This is so cool! Especially now when almost everyone is stuck at home the community will be able to interact with each other. Can’t wait to see what kind of events will be hosted in the future!

9 Likes

I remember hearing about this at RDC this year and I thought this was interesting. Now, it’s actually coming true! I think this is actually really cool to see the ROBLOX Dev community hosting their own event and meet up! It’s going to be like RDC again! However, the pandemic is still going on so it sucks that it won’t be physical meetups until mid 2021. This is exciting still! Can’t wait for these events and meetups! :smiley:

15 Likes

Great opportunity! I’ve been hosting Roblox-Related events for a while, great to see Roblox supporting stuff like this now.

13 Likes

A great addition to Roblox, absolutely! Do have a quick question though.

Will these events be allowed to distribute avatar items to people who attend? It’s not really necessary, but it’d be a nice way to toss out a memento to anyone joining in on the fun! Could be as a freebie for anyone attending, or a prize for being the winning team in the game jam!

9 Likes

Now this sounds like an amazing thing for developers! Yesterday, I saw news regarding this on Twitter and saw that this looks really cool!

Great job Roblox! :clap: I think many developers, including myself think that this is an awesome addition to Roblox!

8 Likes

Maybe just to keep it under wraps during testing? There have been events added there since summer, suggesting that it has been worked on for a while. The Roblox domain is definitely much higher visibility. I didn’t know anything about it until the DevForum groups were added.

3 Likes

They specifically stated that you need to be 16 or older.

8 Likes

Question: Can there be events in US unincorporated territory such as Puerto Rico or Hawaii?

5 Likes

The list is based on if there are event hosts in that specific city/region/area. I’d imagine as asian and oceanic developers sign up and add events, those regions will start appearing.

3 Likes

What is a featured attendee? I tried registering for the Speed Networking event and I filled everything out, It says I was sent an RSVP event link to my email. Its now asking me to fill this out, doesnt specify what a featured attendee is. Is this optional or do we need to fill this out? Im a bit confused

4 Likes

Hawaii is not a US territory, so they can likely be hosted there, but I don’t think it matters either way right now. Nobody should be hosting large in person events for a while given the pandemic.

10 Likes

Personally, I don’t see the point of this, most people already have communities on platforms like discord which is basically what this is but with fewer features.

2 Likes

This is very exciting, just for the potential of seeing panels/presentations/workshops be hosted where you can improve your development skills and network with other developers while you’re at it.

I would love to see a Roblox game studio behind popular games such as DreamCraft or RedManta host a panel highlighting what went into a recent update, and covering behind the scenes elements that we don’t usually get to see.

3 Likes

Just joined the first events server, already got some cool devs joining. Excited for more events to come.

1 Like