How can i improve this animation?

I need to animate a dive, problem is it’s really not coming out good (especially when it pauses when I change the jump pose)

I tried messing around with easing styles, but nothing really worked apart from making everything except the mid-jump pose cubic, and even then it still looks like this:

So yeah anyone got any tips to make it look better?

7 Likes

Not an animator, for the most part, although I’d recommend learning the 12 rules of animation, although I’d recommend for a diving animation: Squash and stretch (Also known as S&S for short, in 2D animation, it’s pretty much giving an object, like a ball, change of shape to show reflex as well of giving them life in general.), Anticipation (Treat it like the start up animation), Exaggerate (Try to exaggerate as much as possible, but not too much!), as well of Secondary Action (Basically an action that supports the main idea).

I’d also suggest you try animating with linear, now I will admit, tweening is helpful although sometimes you’d need to animate in linear as it can animate limbs that tweening can’t, such as arm arcs (I think?).

1 Like

Thanks!
My main problem is how it just stops when i change the pose im used to 2d so i dont know how would i go about it without it stopping when i change the pose?

two things, first, if its a dive then he should probably bo going headfirst. second, it would probable make it more realistic if his arms are moving.

So what you are basically saying is that what should be the ending pose when it dives down?

There are multiple ways you can do that, I’d suggest a cannon ball where at the beginning, or at least when the rig is moving up, it will turn into a ball before exaggerating deep down.

Yeah, I’d agree with you Real, having the arms move makes your animations 66.5% realistic (The pecentage is a joke, but still, makes animations more realistic)

Yeah but im still wondering how do i make it not stop when i change the pose?

yeah, i was assuming it was a headfirst dive but it could also be a cannon ball or others

what do you mean “when i change the pose” like rotate, or change the arms?

I think what he meant is a brief break on the peak of the animation (Where the rig is at after jumping and diving down shortly after.)

EDIT: So I guess that can be considered a brief pause in your animation, Idk if it’s the tweening that is causing it.

Look at the gif, it stops in mid air like some scooby doo gag because its another keyframe to change the pose in order for it to not just slide into the ground

Mind if I see your keyframes (The keys that poses your character)

Oh and I also forgot, if you had the Robux to, purchase Moon Animator or if you are confident enough, try animating in Blender.

oh and also it should probably be more curved, not like a line up and a line down

1 Like

yeah, blender is extremely good for animating, there are even some free rigs out there(the one i use is paint rig)

Is Keyset (A term I like to call when multiple keys are placed together or just the majority of them are close) 2 the animation that the rig crouches or jump?

EDIT: Try moving Keyset 4 closer to Keyset 3, it could either work or make your animation incredibly quick and unrealistic.

It is indeed the part where the character crouches in preparation

Alright, you probably already see the edit, but try moving Keyset 4 (The part the rig dives) closer to Keyset 3. Could work.

Does work a bit but I think im going to redo it entirely with a bit more animation studying.
And im going to try to use moon animator as it looks more professional