How can I make game like a Cities: Skylines?

Hello Everyone! I’m curios, but how I can make type of game like Cities: Skylines in roblox? Like where you can edit terrain, build houses and make real city. I don’t have any idea how to make it so maybe someone can give me some tips how to do it? Not like basic tips that I already know but like good tips so I can understand where I need to start in developing this type of game. Thanks.

Hey notqaltx.

You can’t ask for full scripts on devforum. You must have a already existing script and ask for help from there.

If your a new developer and new to scripting, I wouldn’t recommend trying to make a game as advanced as City Skylines, I’d recommend more basic games.

Also, if you cannot make it you could hire someone to help make the game with you.

If you had read everything correctly, I wrote that I only need tips, not whole scripts.

Also, I’m not that quite bad in the scripting so I can understand basic and intermediate things or whatever it calls in scripting.

A tip would be hiring someone, if you’re not an advanced scripter then you wouldn’t be able to script something as big and advanced as City Skylines.

Hi! Let me just inform you by saying that a game like Cities: Skylines is more than possible so don’t let anyone tell you to rule it out. My personal method would be starting with a placement system that is grid locked for buildings, after that I would make a custom camera controller that would use the Roblox ‘Freecam’ module (it’s part of corescripts) to view the map freely. For the more advanced systems such as the water and power lines, you could use a 2D radius or 3D radius (magnitude/distance between two points on a graph) checker to provide if the buildings have water and/or power.

Keep in mind that even though I’ve dumbed it down, it is still quite difficult and your biggest task will be optimization. You want your game as fast and lightweight as possible to support as many devices.

Here are some great resources that you may want to considering learning from or even using :
cameronmcginley/rblx-placement-system: Rojo initialization (github.com) - Placement system

Freecam Module - An easy way to make Freecam to your game - Resources / Community Resources - Developer Forum | Roblox - Freecam Module

RadiusModule (simple) - Resources / Community Resources - Developer Forum | Roblox - Radius Module

ZonePlus v3.2.0 | Construct dynamic zones and effectively determine players and parts within their boundaries - Resources / Community Resources - Developer Forum | Roblox - Another radius module, a lot more advanced but also has many more features

Vector Icons and Stickers - PNG, SVG, EPS, PSD and CSS (flaticon.com) - My favorite icon site for UI, make sure to give credit!

buildthomas/Rain: Rain effect simulation for Roblox games (github.com) - A rain module for rainy weather

@uid3v Cities: Skylines is one of my favorite games, I would love to see a high-quality remake be made on Roblox. I wish you the best of luck and don’t let anyone doubt you.

4 Likes

Not necessarily, using AI tools to guide you such as Bard or GPT-3, I could see an intermediate scripter being able to create a high-quality version of this game.

Thank you so much! Now I have motivation to make really good game! Thanks.

1 Like

Yeah, but not many people have ChatGPT as lots of them don’t have phones and are under 13 years of age. I’m not saying it’s not possible I’m saying it would be hard for a basic beginner.

1 Like

Woooo, my module got a mention <3

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.