How can I make levels unique and fun while consistently increasing difficulty?

Nearly a year ago, I posted this topic showcasing one of my first projects, a singleplayer puzzle game. Soon after, I took a long break from it. Until recently, I’ve been working on a plethora of other projects to build my skills up.

I’ve learned a lot more about several aspects of development since then, so I recently decided to start working on it again. I have since added new mechanics and optimized everything I had created previously. I now have the main aspects of the game completed, and I feel like the best thing to work on next is add more levels floors.

Here’s where I’m running into issues.

Since there are several mechanics in my game that the player has to learn, a lot of the current stages are just introductions to these mechanics. I feel like the difficulty currently goes from an easy stage introducing something → a medium stage reinforcing that concept → another easy stage introducing something else. How I can gradually introduce mechanics best? How can I make each introductory stage mildly challenging but still easy enough to understand?

Additionally, I’m worried I might overwhelm the player with everything I’m trying to introduce to them. How many mechanics can I add without overwhelming the player?

Another thing I’m struggling with is coming up with new level ideas. I don’t know how to make each stage fun, unique, and slightly more difficult then the last. I find myself staring at a template level wondering what to make next. How can I create unique, fun, and challenging levels? How can I consistently increase difficulty each level?

Thanks for your time. I appreciate your responses.

TL;DR:

• How can I gradually introduce new game mechanics best?
  • How can I make each introductory stage mildly challenging but still easy enough to understand?
  • How many mechanics can I add without overwhelming the player?
  • How can I create unique, fun, and challenging levels?
  • How can I consistently increase difficulty each level?