How did you learn to code?

The way I learned things is, I watched other people doing it and break down their code. That’s how I understand what they were scripting and how things are connected. It starts with a lot of Tutorials, Google searches and stuff like that. But after some time you will see yourself scripting your own creations. The most important thing about that is, don’t loose interest in what you’re doing. If a script doesn’t work for the first time, don’t give up and search for a solution. You got a good Developer Forum here with a lot of people happy to help and never be to shy to ask for help. That shows that you want to learn and make progress with your skills. Good luck!

2 Likes

I would say a “No”.

It’s because each engine has its own chosen language. One language is different from the other. Some functions would be similar to each other, but it depends.

However, if you are speaking about logic like math and physics, yes, it won’t change.

1 Like

I initially got into coding by looking at YouTube tutorials, but after I got the gist of how the Lua syntax worked, I now use the Roblox Developer Hub most of the time to learn more about coding in Roblox.

2 Likes

So, I was pretty stupid when I began to learn to script. I began to learn basic scripting by picking random free models and trying to understand what they do, luckily alot of free models have little notes using “–” to explain how something works, those got me super basic skills, like understanding “wait(1)” and how and when you need to use () then I began using the CK+ Studio plugin, I highly reccomend it if you want to begin learning. I didn’t have enough time to always use it though, so I just wrote is stuff like “Game.Workspace” and read what came up and what it does. After learning to change basic properties I watched tutorials on how to change camera type, custom characters, kill bricks, etc. Now I’m at my current point 1.5k+ visits, so I’m proud of that. I feel like you would be a great scripter, not gonna lie.

3 Likes

I learned from @UseCode_Tap, and then after I got through his beginners tutorials, well I just worked on my projects and went through trial and error and ended up getting some knowledge. I am also still learning, I can’t do datastores, just basic stuff. I also watch tutorials. :grin:

5 Likes

This has been asked many, many, many times before so please search before you post:

https://devforum.roblox.com/search?q=learn%20code%20category%3A54

You should read through the topics that I have linked as they almost all give very similar answers like look on YouTube for tutorials, look through free model code and look on the developers hub.

I self taught my self to code by looking through free models and using the developers hub to look up API references and tutorials.

2 Likes

One way is to start with some videos from YouTube. Now another good way(which I learned in school) is to take a test on what type of learner you are(visual, auditory, kinesthetic). Just google some learning style test and after you get the result, use it to help you learn. If your a visual or auditory learning, you might prefer watching and listening to videos on scripting. If you got kinesthetic, you should learn by actually trying out things and seeing what they do. You can always use something like DevHub to help you.

4 Likes

I’m still mostly learning but what made me have motivation and how I learned(and am learning) is by setting milestones and goals. For example, if you just learned about Vector3 and events then create an event where a part changes sizes when its touched or clicked. If you keep setting small milestones you’ll feel satisfaction at what you’re doing and you’ll know you understand the concepts because you’re applying it! Wish you luck and just a tip: expect failure, if you fail don’t quit because eventually you’ll get it!

3 Likes

I learnt to script basic things, like functions and looping, from the plugin called CK Studio+. I highly recommend it.

2 Likes

I made a topic similar to this one when I was first learning to code. I was suggested many resources that were very useful.

You can find that topic here:

2 Likes

Roblox lua is similar to this:

https://www.lua.org/about.html

2 Likes

When you first start, you would start by learning all the basic of scripting. This can be done by watching youtube tutorials, or reading text based tutorials in the web. After learning that, it is all about practice. Of course there will be parts you have to search up to understand properly, but everything is about playing around and practicing.

When I first started programming, I was 10 years old and it wasn’t even on the roblox platform. I started learning HTML to build webpages, something I utilized in school projects. This made me learn alot and brought me into the developer community. After a while I started on roblox because Lua was more of a programming language rather than what HTML was.
Now after years of programming, I have learned so much and it was ALL about practicing.

Happy coding!

2 Likes

Can you help me out real quick?
So I have these 2 dice
When I run this both dice unanchor at the same time, when I go into output there are no errors, but the script doesn’t wait 0.5 seconds, I tried setting it to 5 and 10 seconds, same result, no errors in output.

Personally, I learned most stuff from @Alvin_Blox and from here developer forum.

1 Like

Are you sure both dices are anchored in the first place? Also instead of doing game.Wokspace, you can also do just workspace.

No, they are both anchored. The point of this action is to make the dice unanchor so that they roll onto the ground, but I want one dice to go first, then the other one to follow behind it.

You can debug by printing dice1.Anchored and on dice2. This way you can find out if the dices are anchored, and if they aren’t.

1 Like

I found the problem, thank you mate.

No problem, glad I could help.
Good luck coding!

2 Likes

Please do research on the DevForum before creating a new topic to avoid creating duplicates; there are already very many topics asking this exact same question!

https://devforum.roblox.com/search?q=how%20to%20learn%20scripting