How do I avoid copyright violations with sound

Hello I was thinking about uploading sounds but I am afraid to get another ban for doing that (like what I did for uploading a somewhat loud audio) So I am wondering what would be considered “copyright violation” I know uploading full songs are copyright (even tho I can listen to them full at spotify for free same with youtube) but I am not sure exactly what other stuff is considered as copyright violation such as Portal gun sounds or boss music from Super Mario Bros (no I am not actually doing those things I just made those up). And I am wondering how to avoid the violation. And dont say the obvious stuff such as put it in nighcore (they should really get shutdown anyways)

3 Likes

There is no way to really get around copy right unless you make a similar version and copy right that. You can always find copy right free music but there is no guarantee they won’t be asking for things like credit, revenue, etc. Over all I’d hire a cheap person to do it if you’re going to change it slightly. Best of luck John.

Edit: As I say in a lot of my posts about legal usage of items the DevForum isn’t the best place to ask. Maybe talk with a lawyer or someone who knows specifically the field you’re trying to do.

2 Likes

Well here is the problem… I kind of not old enough to have a lawyer :baby:

1 Like

Not true, at any age you can have a lawyer muchness consult them for free or hardly anything.

Edit: Keep it short and sweet they’re very busy people and also charge a lot if they charge.

3 Likes

Just make your own sounds instead of stealing other people’s. That’s the over simplified version of copyright, and you shouldn’t run into any issues if you just do that.

6 Likes

Yeah as @posatta said just get your own music that’s a good option too. But if you’d like to stick close to it change it up a bit and make sure you know the requirements for it to be considered it’s own song. Find what you like about it and try and reproduce a version you like with more detail. Over all just hire someone for a similar theme music. Using other people’s content isn’t that good of an idea. I hope we helped, John.

1 Like

So basically your saying just to find a sound making website, make the sound I want, and if I am not sure if my sound is copyright then talk to a lawyer?

1 Like

You don’t need to consult a lawyer. If it’s your sound, you can use it. Just don’t take other people’s sounds and use them without permission.

4 Likes

Just make your own sound simple as that then get a copy right for your self. The lawyer is only needed if you’re using other peoples sound and need tips on where to alter so you cannot be sued.

Theres alot of ways of doing this. As a I’ve been learning about copyright for the better part of a year now. One of the most simple ways of doing this is to check whether or not the artist is under a large record label or just a record label in general. This is not a fool prof plan however since generally under copyright law when you create something you will automatically have copyright on it. This goes from tracks to 5 seconds to 10 mins in length. Generally large copyright music labels like UMG, SMG, etc aren’t too fond of this. There are some labels that are OK with. I know for a fact that labels like monster cat are OK with this since in their eyes it’s just free promotion. So all in all a good way to do it is to just find out what record label the artist is under, go on their website and find out whether or not their OK with this sorts of stuff. Alternatively you could send them an email asking but this may take a little while. If you do want to use a copyrighted track speeding or slowing down the track is usually a pretty good method. Tough if a label really wanted to they could issue a take down notice or DMCA for using their song/sample in the track. Depending on the amount of content these DMCA claim can be pretty expensive to deal with especially if their a large corporation since they will most likely try to squeeze as much out as possible. So yeah the easiest and safest way to do this is to just find a label thats ok with it or alternatively you could find someone that’s licensed under creative commons. This is what I license all of my song under and it basically means that anyone depending on the type of license Is allowed to share, distribute and transform the material in any shape or form. Plus the artist cannot revoke this license at any time so there is not future copyright hassle. There are several ways of finding these tracks. I know that Soundcloud has a way of sorting trough all of these tracks tough there might be other ways. Hope that helped

BTW I do music. (Contact me)

2 Likes

Capture12 personally i dont think roblox even checks whats copyright or not

That is no concern to you if they check it or not but no matter what using copy righted material could get you banned or even sued. As everyone has said stick with your own material I also pointed out some ideas about how to use a copy righted song but remake it and change it up a bit and if you’re not too sure and it sounds too similar ask someone who knows like a lawyer.

Edit: Please just accept what we’ve all said this is not a joke when it comes to legal things. No matter how much you fish for the answer you’re looking for it doesn’t change the fact it’s illegal without consent you could be sued or even face jail time. This is not a joke just take what we’ve said to help and move on.

2 Likes

Yes I understand this is not a joke. Thank you.

2 Likes